Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: connection problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1

    connection problem

    I'm a complete nooby and after great difficulty I managed to get my Acer laptop to connect via my wireless card, but although the kwifimanager shows the signal to be excellent i can't get online with the browser or email. My laptop connects to the wireless system but the software won't connect to the web. I disabled the knoppix firewall but that didn't help. I don't think it is the hardware firewall because I can get Knoppix to connect ok and can browse when i run it in my wired desktop behind the same hardware firewall. I don't know what to do next.
    Also i don't know how to save the network config, it doesn't seem to work and each time I've got to go to config in kwifimanager, enter the network name, and then 'activate,' and 'apply.' After that I use wavelan to enter the network name again and click 'ok'on all the other options. I then go back to kwifimanager/config and 'activate' and save, then I scan for network, which it finds but doesn't connect with until I go back to wavelan and enter the encryption code.
    Surely I'm doing this all wrong and there is an easier way, and a way to save it all.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    There is certainly a way to save all that information. Are you familiar with batch files in Windows? You can create similar files in Linux called shell scripts that execute a list of commands that you store in an ASCII file. You can store the commands for binding your interface to a particular network with a particular network key. Then every time you run the script, it will do all of those things.

    The command for setting wireless settings is iwconfig. Do a "man iwconfig" to learn more about this command.
    The command for getting an IP address from the DHCP server is "pump -i <interface name>"

    For more info about shell scripting, google "bash scripting beginner's tutorial"
    that should get you started.

Similar Threads

  1. Internet connection problem
    By cretin in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 05:28 AM
  2. dsl connection problem
    By HK-47 in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 11:41 PM
  3. LAN connection problem.
    By Nightmare in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
  4. connection problem with knoppix 3.6
    By max-ebb in forum Networking
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 04:30 PM
  5. Problem with Internet Connection
    By farkas_imre in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00