I upgraded (or tried to) my Debian box from Woody to Sarge. When I tried to reboot, LILO choked... from what I have gathered my best course of action is to use Knoppix to either repair LILO or install GRUB instead.
I am able to boot from the Knoppix CD.
I have tried doing several things like
where I got the following errorCode:grub-install hd0
/sbin/grub-install: line 399: /usr/bin/uniq: input/output error
could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device
I've tried mounting a filesystem to chroot to and get an error saying something to the effect of specifying a wrong type or filesystem... sorry can't remember exactly...
I also get an input/output error when trying to run programs like vi, less and tail.
I'm kind of at my wits end here. Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00
Vintage Apple iBook G3 Clamshell M2453 Dead HDD For Parts As is
$189.99
Vintage APPLE MACINTOSH II Desktop PC EMPTY CASE & Power Supply Only UNTESTED
$39.90
Vintage Apple USB Mouse M4848 Bondi Blue iMac G3 Hockey Puck - Tested Working
$22.99
vintage Rainbow Apple Logo Mouse Pad-Sealed New
$99.00
Ramworks III Vintage Apple IIe Computer Memory Card
$65.00
Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord
$44.99
Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals
$50.00
3 Boxes-Vintage Apple Claris Macwrite MacPaint MacDraw - Sealed - NOS Rare 1988
$74.99
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99