Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: error trouble shooting

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2

    error trouble shooting

    I would like to know if there is any place to break down errors from linux or knoppix. I have had a problem booting from my desk top on the knoppix cd (kernel panic vfs: unable to mount root fs on 01:01) if I load the cd on my laptop I don't get the error. if I could break down the message I may be able to find the problem (or conf. error) on my desk top. I am interested in learning more about linux and other operating systems but have a dilly of a time geting any questions answered.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    The first thing I tell people to do when they get kernel panic errors is to test the integrity of the CD. I know that it worked ok on a different machine, but do this anyway. When you boot, use the following boot option: "knoppix testcd."

    Post back with results.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2
    first thing I did after booting on my laptop was to testcd and it tested ok. But, it had major problems coming up on the laptop even when I did boot to laptop.

    I am getting a replacement from the company I got it from and will test it as soon as I get it.

    next question I have is. Is there a place to break down errors from linux. I would like to test run it and compare it to windows.

    I do thank you form a responce.

    don lawhead.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    A list of lilo error codes.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: error trouble shooting

    Quote Originally Posted by dlawhead
    I would like to know if there is any place to break down errors from linux or knoppix. I have had a problem booting from my desk top on the knoppix cd (kernel panic vfs: unable to mount root fs on 01:01) if I load the cd on my laptop I don't get the error. if I could break down the message I may be able to find the problem (or conf. error) on my desk top. I am interested in learning more about linux and other operating systems but have a dilly of a time geting any questions answered.
    You can do a dmesg | less to see all of the kernel messages from boot. You can hold the Shift+PageUp to see the messages during boot. Go here: Linux Newbie Admin Guide

    As far as deciphering all the kernel messages goes they are somewhat self explainatory (alot more so than win errors anyway). If you want some info on a specific error the use G4L

    If you really want to learn Linux then you'll need to 'graduate' from this forum and move over to LQ or JL

    I'll warn you now- if you ask questions that have been answered a thousand times in those forums you are very likely to get your backside lit up. Knoppix is a perfect fit for noobs and it is expected that they ask general and basic questions here but that is not necessarily so elsewhere. Search first. Always post what you have already tried to solve the problem yourself. Be specific- give exact details, exact errors, pay attention to your typing and you will do well. Don't try to get just one more program compiled or just one more box configured before you get some rest. You'll just make silly mistakes.

    One last thing- once you install Knoppix you have Debian so go to Debian and read what they have to offer. It will not be easy but it is VERY rewarding. You will find yourself strangely addicted to Linux like you were your first girlfriend. ;P

    You want real time help? Get into IRC. Knoppix has some IRC clients already like Xchat. Don't forget to check out the link in my sig line either. gluck

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    kernel panic vfs: unable to mount root fs on 01:01
    This is the /dev/mem device, something is severely wrong.

Similar Threads

  1. BIG TROUBLE
    By Zidave in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 03:22 PM
  2. Xine error after doing a Upgrade, error posted. (resolved)
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
  3. mkisofs error: end request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy...
    By labrador in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:54 AM
  4. Partition-error (Table written but error while reading!!!)
    By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM
  5. 3.2 trouble
    By jimgeorge in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99