-
error trouble shooting
I would like to know if there is any place to break down errors from linux or knoppix. I have had a problem booting from my desk top on the knoppix cd (kernel panic vfs: unable to mount root fs on 01:01) if I load the cd on my laptop I don't get the error. if I could break down the message I may be able to find the problem (or conf. error) on my desk top. I am interested in learning more about linux and other operating systems but have a dilly of a time geting any questions answered.
-
Senior Member
registered user
The first thing I tell people to do when they get kernel panic errors is to test the integrity of the CD. I know that it worked ok on a different machine, but do this anyway. When you boot, use the following boot option: "knoppix testcd."
Post back with results.
-
first thing I did after booting on my laptop was to testcd and it tested ok. But, it had major problems coming up on the laptop even when I did boot to laptop.
I am getting a replacement from the company I got it from and will test it as soon as I get it.
next question I have is. Is there a place to break down errors from linux. I would like to test run it and compare it to windows.
I do thank you form a responce.
don lawhead.
-
Senior Member
registered user
A list of lilo error codes.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: error trouble shooting

Originally Posted by
dlawhead
I would like to know if there is any place to break down errors from linux or knoppix. I have had a problem booting from my desk top on the knoppix cd (kernel panic vfs: unable to mount root fs on 01:01) if I load the cd on my laptop I don't get the error. if I could break down the message I may be able to find the problem (or conf. error) on my desk top. I am interested in learning more about linux and other operating systems but have a dilly of a time geting any questions answered.

You can do a dmesg | less to see all of the kernel messages from boot. You can hold the Shift+PageUp to see the messages during boot. Go here: Linux Newbie Admin Guide
As far as deciphering all the kernel messages goes they are somewhat self explainatory (alot more so than win errors anyway). If you want some info on a specific error the use G4L
If you really want to learn Linux then you'll need to 'graduate' from this forum and move over to LQ or JL
I'll warn you now- if you ask questions that have been answered a thousand times in those forums you are very likely to get your backside lit up. Knoppix is a perfect fit for noobs and it is expected that they ask general and basic questions here but that is not necessarily so elsewhere. Search first. Always post what you have already tried to solve the problem yourself. Be specific- give exact details, exact errors, pay attention to your typing and you will do well. Don't try to get just one more program compiled or just one more box configured before you get some rest. You'll just make silly mistakes.
One last thing- once you install Knoppix you have Debian so go to Debian and read what they have to offer. It will not be easy but it is VERY rewarding. You will find yourself strangely addicted to Linux like you were your first girlfriend. ;P
You want real time help? Get into IRC. Knoppix has some IRC clients already like Xchat. Don't forget to check out the link in my sig line either. gluck
-
Senior Member
registered user
kernel panic vfs: unable to mount root fs on 01:01
This is the /dev/mem device, something is severely wrong.
Similar Threads
-
By Zidave in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-20-2004, 03:22 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 17
Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
-
By labrador in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:54 AM
-
By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM
-
By jimgeorge in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$739.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99