Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: DVD versus CD Lite

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5

    DVD versus CD Lite

    Regarding Knoppix 4.0.2, what software is included on the DVD that is not on the CD?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Underscore, thanks for the detailed inventory of files, but that much information is overkill. I am sure those files could be grouped under packages or applications, and the number of applications in the Knoppix 4.0.2 DVD that do not appear in the corresponding CD would be relatively small. Such a list of application addons would be more useful to me.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rjemery
    .. but that much information is overkill..
    Gee, you got your question answerd with exactly the right and complete information, even though it has been answered many times before and could have been found by a simple search or you could have even found the links that Underscore gave you if you had look a minimal amount, but you stll complain because you think that information should be in a different format!

    If you really feel the world should have a different format of this information, I invite you to remove the CD items from the DVD list and reformat the rest into a dumbed down list of programs, and then contribute that list back to the community as an article in the wiki here. I think you'll find that the list is not as "relatively small" as you think it is.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Code:
    mkdir package-lists
    cd package-lists
    wget http://debian.ams.sunysb.edu/knoppix...d/packages.txt
    wget http://debian.ams.sunysb.edu/knoppix...ckages-dvd.txt
    cat packages.txt packages-dvd.txt > pack-combined.txt
    sort pack-combined.txt > pack-combined-sorted.txt
    uniq -u pack-combined-sorted.txt > pack-uniq.txt

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Kuhman,

    An exhaustive file list is not the information I seek. For example, if WXYZ is an application in the DVD version that is not included in the CD version, that is all I wish to know. I am not interested in seeing a list of every single file associated with WXYZ.

    If the CD versus DVD content information already exists in the form I seek, please provide either:
    a) the keywords for which a search I could perform that would yield the desired information, or
    b) a link to a page containing that information.

    As a moderator, I would expect you to be more cooperative and to conduct yourself in a professional manner. You presumably are in a role here of helping users, not mocking them.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by rjemery
    that is all I wish to know. I am not interested in seeing a list of every single file associated with WXYZ.
    Perhaps you should actually look at the information that Underscore gave you before you start going on the attack. The lists he so nicely provided links for contain one line item for things like:
    Code:
    ii  ftpd                     0.17-21                  FTP server
    This single line shows the FTP deamon or server program. It certainly does not show every single file that is associated with it. The lists you were provided with are what you are asking for. And Underscore even took the time to show you how to extract a list of only the packages (not individual files) that are included on the DVD and not the CD. Personally I think that was going way to far after your rather abrasive response to his attempt to help you, but it does seem that you expect even more. Perhaps you want someone to make that list for you and even read your mind and figure out what packages in the list you coonsider of interest and which you don't want us to bother informing you about. Let me offer my fullest and deepest appologies that we are not working hard enough to meet your expectations and provide your special executive overview of these differences.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Kuhman,

    If there is anyone who is abrasive here, it is YOU. I have been polite and respectful at all times. I simply asked a question, for which I have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. It certainly will not be forthcoming from YOU. I consider YOU unfit for the role YOU ostensiblly play here.

    Because of YOU, I am writing off this forum and will bring this thread to the attention of Klaus Knopper.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    UnderScore,

    I appreciate your efforts to provide an answer to my original query, but I no longer have any interest in this topic or in Knoppix. Kindest regards.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 32-bit versus 64-bit distros
    By michael7 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 02:49 AM
  2. Root versus user with klik
    By lilsirecho in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
  3. Compiling with DJGPP versus Knoppix
    By kepler in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 01:19 PM
  4. Knoppix versus Standard HD install
    By walterw in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 11:47 PM
  5. OKI 8w LITE Printer
    By Jesus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2003, 05:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00