Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: mounting ntfs rw

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    mounting ntfs rw

    Ok, maybe I'm a real idiot, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to get an ntfs partition mounted rw. I understand that it may be dangerous, but I'm willing to take that chance. My windose system got a virus and now I can't boot in. What I need to be able to do is delete a couple of directories. Could someoe provide me with the idiots guide to mounting ntfs rw? Here's what I've tried so far....

    Ok, well first I right clicked on the partition on the desktop > Mount. Then Actions > change read/write mode. Obviously that doen't work. So I tried to remount it from a terminal (root) something like this: mount -tntfs -remount,rw /dev/hda3. The command process and doesn't throw any erors, but I still can't create a dummy direcotyr or delete. I read and thought that I should be using ntfsmount instead of mount, but that's not an installed program. I then read that you need to run this sudo captive-install-acquire but sudo says that's not a valid command. I also read that there should be a link to that program from the knoppix menu, and at least in knoppix 3.9 there's no such program anywhere. (nothing that says captive anywhere in the name)

    Can anybody help me out? Also, once I finally get it mounted rw, do I need to run the netfsprog ntfsfix on the drive? or is that not needed with the method being used?

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126
    Hi Mattail
    For this you really need the latest version of Knoppix (4.02 at time of writing).
    Reading
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21373
    should help I hope.
    Regards,
    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. mounting to NTFS
    By Li'l Roberto in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
  2. Mounting NTFS HDD
    By ForbiddenSword in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
  3. NTFS Mounting
    By dlichterman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:22 PM
  4. NTFS mounting problem
    By stf-ko in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:07 PM
  5. NTFS mounting problems
    By Don_PhrostByte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer picture

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer

$72.00



Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5

Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5" External Drive TESTED but can't read/write disks

$69.99



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED picture

ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED

$250.00



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29