-
Junior Member
registered user
Another Linux Partition...
I am looking for some advice on the best way to solve this problem.
I currently have 3 partitions on my hard drive.
1) A fat32 partition where I have Windows XP installed (37 gigs)
2) A Linux swap partition (1 gig)
3) A Knoppix4.0.2 hard drive install on a ReiserFS partition (15 gig)
This system is using Grub as it's boot loader. Everything is working as it should. What I would like to do is create another partition where I could load either another Knoppix install that would be suitable for testing, or possibly another distribution of Linux, probably Debian.
The scenario, First I would create another ReiserFS partion for my next Linux install. I have over 20 gigs left on this box.
The Questions:
1) If I add another Knoppix install from cd to the new partion would my Grub boot loader file be correct or would I have to manually edit it?
2) Would it be better to copy or mirror my present Knoppix system to the new partition and go from there as a test version? What tools would work for this (i.e. Dd, Partimage, etc)? I am not very experienced with backup and restore in Linux (another reason for a test version). Again how would this effect my boot loader in Grub?
3) If I did add another distribution of Linux what issues would I expect to see?
4) Would any new linux install Knoppix or otherwise use my current swap partion by default?
I am probably being over cautious but I don't want to loose all my work that I put into this box in getting everything running smoothly.
Thank you in Advance,
Chip
Similar Threads
-
By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-05-2005, 05:19 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-14-2004, 11:34 PM
-
By ewangr in forum General Support
Replies: 27
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 04:01 PM
-
By bilzer in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:43 AM
-
By Sucker in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-29-2003, 11:32 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

HP Z840 44 Core Workstation 2x Xeon E5-2699 v4 - No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$594.97

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99

Intel Xeon W-3245 3.2ghz 16-Core CPU OEM - 2019 Mac Pro 7,1
$395.95