Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 22 of 22

Thread: Unable to see harddrive after booting off LiveCD

  1. #21
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92

    Udev vs Devfs = pci=off fixes?

    ALSO ...

    Note that 'pci=off' or 'nopci' likely helps because of the new way UDEV or is it HOTPLUG sees devices -- IIRC, and I'm only repeating what I heard in a thread a few days ago -- but udev which is NEW (old was devfs) -- works exactly the OPPOSITE way than does devfs and has broken many systems -- I'll try to dig up the Usenet thread I'm referring to..

    ahhh.....here it is

    http://groups.google.com/group/linux...t%3Audev&hl=en

    I'm going to reread it now too....

    Perhaps because of this udev stuff -- maybe even 'acpi=off' or 'apic=off' (each by itself) might also accomplish what 'pci=off' does....not that you'd want to disable either - but track down the way this newer udev stuff works

    Here's some things to look at;
    $ dmesg | grep -i udev (thanks underscore )
    doesn't not list anything for me (but I have older hardware and an older 2.6.8 kernel) -- but when substituting 'hotplug' i get hits - wonder what yours says
    dmesg lists some/most bootup messages - the command above will pluck out the lines with your relevant terms (e.g., 'udev' in bolded example above)

  2. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    Bandoba,

    I did a Google search for - "pci=off" linux - and found that your problem is not uncommon. It seems to be a regular problem with users trying to install various versions of Linux, for example! It seems to be a hardware related thing and the solution seems to be to find the right combination of cheatcodes to avoid having to use pci=off. pci=off actually instructs Knoppix not to detect pci devices and I guess your network card is a pci device - which is why it will not work when you have pci=off.

    There is an alternative Knoppix cheatcode, pci=bios, which may help in some cases. I have also seen reference to pci=biosirq in cases where there is an interrupt conflict. However, as this is not mentioned on the Knoppix cheat code list, I am not sure of its validity.

    What is not obvious is that parameters other than Knoppix cheat codes can be added to the kernel line, because the Linux kernel can accept parameters irrespective of whether it is Knoppix or something else. I think the nomce parameter is a Linux kernel parameter, rather than a Knoppix specific one. I say this because I found a whole web page on the pci parameter. It may be worth trying out some of the possibilities mentioned. You can find this page at:
    http://www.bigwebmaster.com/General/...t-HOWTO-4.html

    I am not into the mysteries of hardware, but I hope the above mentioned possibilities may lead to a solution to your problem.

    ICPUG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Question about booting and harddrive
    By wallberg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 04:26 PM
  2. Booting a laptop off a Knoppix CD without a harddrive.
    By ncsuapex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2005, 09:19 PM
  3. ADSL modem unable test-drive Knoppix LiveCD 4.0.2
    By newfellow in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
  4. unable to boot using Knoppix liveCd
    By justAnotherLinuxNewbie in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 01:42 PM
  5. How to copy files from livecd to a partioned linux harddrive
    By Billsrock61 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections

$60.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87