-
Junior Member
registered user
SUPER idea - Truly mobile OS on CD - Modifiable LiveCD
UnionFS brings truly a revolution in the whole linux live CD world !
1) Older liveCD were both physically & logically read-only - allowing only some rescue operation to be made on PC.
2) Today's liveCDs are physically read-only but logically read-writeable - like Knoppix 3.8 - thanks to the revolutionary UnionFS technology.
3) Now imagine you have both physically & logically read-write liveCD - which allows you to work, customize install
and play at any location, at your friend's home, at work, anywhere !
I have an idea how to make step #3 happen - just listen:
On our liveCD we will have structure like this:
/
/OS
+
/ramdrive (virtual folder, not physically burned)
and we will mount /ramdrive over /OS to get into step 2.
But how will we make our CD truly modifiable - like in step 3?
The short answer is Multisession CDs !
The long answer is:
After the first session ends (i.e. you press restart -or- shutdown from KDE)
your /ramdrive must be written as session #2 as /Session2
right after restart - when knoppix boots it must union 3 filesystems
/OS (ro) + /Session2 (ro) + /ramdrive (rw)
so you have basically saved and continue your work from saved location !
Now, when you want to restart that session it, optionally, will be written as /Session3
and at the next boot the OS will union 4 directories:
/OS (ro) + /Session2 (ro) + /Session3 (ro) + /ramdrive (rw)
that's great - you have yust got your truly mobile OS, without expensive components
- such as mobile USB hard drives, flash disks, laptops, whatever ...
and if used on a mini DVD-R then will be compact and great !
what do you think ?
If you like the idea - then tell Klaus Knopper and other developers about that !
-
Sounds alot like Puppy Linux
-
Read forum before posting
Before posting, look in Tips & Tricks forum in "Optimal man HD Install ..: how to realize "your great idea"
-
Junior Member
registered user
yep, after the idea is checked, it is exactly like Puppy Linux !!!
One problem with Puppy however is hardware support. - it doesn't run on my PC 
Another problem with Puppy - it's not KDE based.
I think it would be great !!!
to have a multi-session live-CD !
Here is a link to Multi-session liveCD forum from Puppy Linux team:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/sforum/s...pro.cgi?fid=08
================================================== =====
My idea:
The puppy way: as-is won't work with Knoppix - you can't burn on mounted CD.
however, because Puppy Linux is only 60MB, and therefore loaded into RAM fully.
leaving the CD to be unmounted and ready to be burned.
In order for that technique to work on Knoppix we must build kind of mini-distro inside Knoppix, which after the session ends (and most RAM is freed), right before the restart will load mini-knoppix-suitable-only-for-cd-burning into RAM, then unmount the main Knoppix and burn the CD session.
So what do you think ???
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
When I burn a small iso (like DSL) onto a CD and leave the CD open for future writing, I can indeed write to the next session inside Linux. But after I do, the CD, which now shows the file structure of both sessions (the first being imported to the second), is no longer bootable. How do you propose to resolve this?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Actually, it works-for-me.
I have a machine with 1 GB RAM. So I loaded Knoppix into RAM fully. My Knoppix is on DVD+RW disc.
then after using Knoppix I have added a text file to it. It just worked. The boot sector was NOT damaged.
The only rool: your CD burner must be not used or better yet - unmounted !
I think you have a special talent if you could burn second session, and damage the bootsector that way 
Also, it works for Puppy Linux.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Fenix*NBK*
I think you have a special talent if you could burn second session, and damage the bootsector that way

I don't think it's so much that you're damaging a boot sector that's already written as it is that when you add another session to a CD you are rewriting a new master directroy structure (thats why you import old sessions into the new session or they will be "lost"). And the new master directory seems to be missing something (I have no idea what) that makes the CD bootable. I've duplicated this several times in DSL with both CDR and CDRW media.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Then import previous session in K3B before (!!!) you burn second session.
k3B->tools-> import session
that way you won't damage the bootsector.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Fenix*NBK*
Then import previous session in K3B before (!!!) you burn second session.
I thought I had made it pretty clear that I had done that.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Junior Member
registered user
then I will explain again, that I have NOT damaged my bootsector doing EXACTLY this.
How could it be done, that I haven't damaged my bootsector, but your's is damaged ?
The only rools about this to succeed:
a) your CD must be unmounted.
b) you must have spare space on your CD.
answers:
a) I have achieved unmounting because I runned knoppix from RAM instead of CD booting with option: "knoppix toram". I have 1GB of RAM.
b) In my case I have achieved extra space by burning CD ISO image into DVD+RW. I have DVD+-burner.
*It can be achieved by remastering Knoppix as well.
Similar Threads
-
By plumtreed in forum Networking
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-16-2010, 12:11 PM
-
By fabioxa in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 09:17 AM
-
By viperunix in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 08:44 AM
-
By merlin232 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 08:36 AM
-
By bansal in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95