Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix won't boot on Dell Dimension 4550

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix won't boot on Dell Dimension 4550

    Knoppix won't boot on my Dell Dimension 4550. Actually, the CD boots (I get to a boot: prompt), but if I hit ENTER to boot, I will get this error:
    PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions
    *pde = 00000000
    Oops: 0000
    CPU: 0
    EIP: 0010:[<00000000>] Not tainted
    EFLAGS: 00010286
    ...
    Code: Bad EIP value.
    <0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

    I have an actual photo of the screen. If anyone wants it, send me an e-mail at [email protected]

    This machine has a hyperthreading 3.06 Ghz P4 in it. I tried disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS, but it made no difference.
    Here are the specs on this machine:
    3.06 Ghz P4
    512MB DDR 333
    Intel 845PE chipset
    60 GB HD
    DVD/CD-RW combo drive
    Soundblaster Live audio card
    Integrated Intel 10/100 82562ET
    ATI cheapo video card (don't remember exact model)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Boot w/ the noapic cheat code and/or disable APM in your BIOS.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    3
    Same problem with my 4550 with 1Gb mem, ATI Radeon 9700.

    Try boot it with "failsafe" after the prompt.

    Will do some searching later since Im going to do
    a remaster of a swedish version.

    I'll get back

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2

    Nothin works...

    I know it's been a while since I posted my original message, but I've been busy.
    Anyway, I just downloaded the latest version of Knoppix today (3.2, dated July 26th, 2003), and it still won't boot on my machine (the one detailed in the first message of this thread).
    I tried noapic, I tried turning off APM in my bios, I tried every "no" option in the book, but still no boot. I even tried failsafe, but still no go. All other Linux's have booted and installed fine on this machine (except RedHat 9, which required setting special options). Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Anodos

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    This is a kernel related issue, I would suggestion

    http://www.kernel.org and ask over the mailing list there.

    The problem with KNOPPIX though is that it suppressed the messages which I don't know how one can turn on in the CD version as the kernel guys would ask for them.

    May be you need to turn on ACPI and/or APIC(rather than off) as those two features are closely related interrupt/resources handling in a machine.

    But as I said above, try kernel.org, they should know much more.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't boot Version 3.8.2 on a Dell Dimension 8250
    By jkellyjr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 05:47 AM
  2. Dell-PC (Dimension 8400) doesn't boot
    By hj.geiss in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 04:48 PM
  3. Booting to Knoppix on a Dell Dimension 8200
    By rons1961 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 12:31 AM
  4. Knoppix on Dell Dimension 4500S promising thus far
    By Terrio in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 01:35 AM
  5. NEED YOUR HELP (DELL DIMENSION 4550)!!!
    By H-Makro in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99



Samsung 860 Pro 256GB V-NAND SATA Solid State Drive SSD MZ-76P256 MZ7KH256HAHQ picture

Samsung 860 Pro 256GB V-NAND SATA Solid State Drive SSD MZ-76P256 MZ7KH256HAHQ

$49.95