Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: cdrom cdrom1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8

    cdrom cdrom1

    I too am very new to Linux (1 week) and trying to decide if I want to forego MS on one machine. I am "playing" with Knoppinx 4.0 live-cd on a celeron 400 256K machine with a DVD and CD burner.

    Knoppix (and KDE and all the other stuff) seems to load and run fine. It finds two cdroms and KDE puts two icons on the desktop cdrom (which is my DVD) and cdrom1 (my burner). However ONLY cdrom (which contains the Knoppix live cd) works. WHen I click on it Konquerer opens and displays the Knoppix dvd files.

    BUT, WHen I click cdrom1 there is some brief cdrom activity (as expected), but then I get the following message - "Unable to run the command specified, The file or folder file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist" I get the same message whether or not there is a cd in the drive.

    Any help could be really appreciated -- Thank you. JJJJ

    More Infor --
    I just discivered that I can read an Knoppix boot disk and a disk of MP3 files. BUT I cannot read a regular music CD. Is there somethng I need to know about music cds.

    JJJJ

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92

    Re: cdrom cdrom1

    whoops

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92

    Re: cdrom cdrom1

    Sounds like you may have run into DRM and perhaps "copyright" issues

    So the CDRW (cdrom1) works fine otherwise ? -- except for Music CDs ??

    Note -- DRM is n-a-s-t-y stuff -- with Rootkits and worse -- any "Music CD" that requires you to accept a EULA just to listen to it, needs to be thrown into the fire and smelted -- and the Corp that made it needs to be sued and boycotted

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: cdrom cdrom1

    Quote Originally Posted by |enouf|
    any "Music CD" that requires you to accept a EULA just to listen to it, needs to be thrown into the fire and smelted -- and the Corp that made it needs to be sued and boycotted
    No, it needs to be returned for a refund so that the sellers give the proper feedback to the labels. And, of course, the lawsuits are a nice idea, although in reality only the lawyers generally get more than couponds over them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    cdrom cdrom1

    Audio cd's are not _mounted_.

    Simply point your player software to the device you wish it to use and the application will take care of the low level necessities needed to read the data (audio files) from the cd. You may need to configure your music players' input library. Look for an "options" menu.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92

    Re: cdrom cdrom1

    Quote Originally Posted by nad
    Audio cd's are not _mounted_.
    After thinking about that -- I think you're right
    AudioCDs (Store bought type and "Pressed/Stamped") are usually CDA/CDDA format - yes?
    They're not ISO-9660 (CD-R/RW), nor UDF (like CD-RW disks you make are), which are mount-able File systems (IFS's in linux). Nor are they whatever file system(s) the newest 'mt fuji' and 'mt ranier' or DVD-RAM specs are..(not certain/familiar with any of these file systems....as of yet) -- I guess they'd be UDF also, but RAM has defect hardware management too, whatever the file system it uses.

    In winblows, you usually only get Shortcuts (1kb) to the "tracks" (on "Pressed" AudioCDs) and when viewed/browsed in WinExploder you get the typical Track01, Track02, Track03, etc format (unless there's ID3 tags your software reads as well)....It's only when you go to BURN that AudioCD, that it's Tracks (and their file Sizes can be seen, noticed).

    Can you go into some more specifics about that nad ? Surely Linux can (should be able to) extract the data where windblows cannot - perhaps with libdvdcss type libraries, etc ?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    cdrom cdrom1

    For an overview, you may start with :
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...-Writing-HOWTO

    There is a wealth of information on the net regarding audio files and formats.

    To quickly manipulate the audio data, get cdparanoia . I'm not using knoppix at the moment, but I know that there is a debian package.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92

    Re: cdrom cdrom1

    Quote Originally Posted by nad
    For an overview, you may start with :
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...-Writing-HOWTO

    There is a wealth of information on the net regarding audio files and formats.

    To quickly manipulate the audio data, get cdparanoia . I'm not using knoppix at the moment, but I know that there is a debian package.
    thanks;
    I'm on Debian Sarge (3.1r1) and I haven't booted to Knoppix(LiveCD) in awhile....
    but check it out;

    $ locate cdparanoia
    /usr/bin/cdparanoia
    /usr/share/doc/cdparanoia
    /usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0
    /usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/FAQ.txt.gz
    /usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/README.Debian
    /usr/share/doc/libcdparanoia0/README.gz
    /usr/share/man/man1/cdparanoia.1.gz
    /var/cache/apt/archives/cdparanoia_3a9.8-11_i386.deb
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libcdparanoia0_3a9.8-11_i386.deb
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/cdparanoia.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/cdparanoia.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/cdparanoia.preinst
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.postinst
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.postrm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/libcdparanoia0.shlibs

    I also checked with Aptitude and I have cdparanoia installed already
    Just haven't had time to play with it

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8
    WOW folks -- this has gone way beyond me.

    I still cannot figure out what the problem is here. I have gone into XMMS Prefernces. There was a place (sorry can't recall the details) where I could check the disk. XMMS could apparently read the disk but could not find /media directory. I can't either. Should there be one - should I create one? Also. I neglected to note that the cdrom1 is a CD-RW (not sure tht makes any difference).

    I still cannot get the drive to read a commercial or other cda disk. When I try to munt it there is a few seconds of disk activity and then I get the following KDesktop message - file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist.

    Again any more help could be appreciated.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    etherworld
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by canjohn
    WOW folks -- this has gone way beyond me.

    I still cannot figure out what the problem is here. I have gone into XMMS Prefernces. There was a place (sorry can't recall the details) where I could check the disk. XMMS could apparently read the disk but could not find /media directory. I can't either. Should there be one - should I create one? Also. I neglected to note that the cdrom1 is a CD-RW (not sure tht makes any difference).

    I still cannot get the drive to read a commercial or other cda disk. When I try to munt it there is a few seconds of disk activity and then I get the following KDesktop message - file:///mnt/cdrom1 does not exist.

    Again any more help could be appreciated.
    Open a Konsole and type this;
    sudo cat /etc/fstab
    should see some entires like this;

    /dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 iso9660 rw,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

    post the WHOLE output of your file though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can't see cdrom1
    By GottaBuild in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 03:57 PM
  2. /cdrom /cdrom1, can not be mounted!
    By tsitras in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 02:39 PM
  3. ok...walk me through this...cdrom and cdrom1
    By Silver_Seagull in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:23 AM
  4. Could not create mount point '/mnt/auto/cdrom1'
    By milne in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-14-2003, 01:26 AM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99