-
How do I kill automounter? or: Stop the swap, PLEASE!
I have been working on remastering Knoppix for my company's custom needs, and have been through a lot of problems...solved thankfully, through a combination of looking up answers here and elsewhere. Now I have a problem I have not been able to fix: I have to stop Knoppix from auto-mounting any partition on a harddrive, including the swap, hopefully without uninstalling autofs.
Allow me to explain: we use partimage in a script along with sfdisk and dd to (re)image workstations, servers, etc. Everything is automated, so when sfdisk tries to put a partition table onto a disk, it expects the disk to not be in use (I don't want to use the --force parameter for other reasons). Knoppix default CD/DVD automounts the swap partition for speed reasons, I take it. This makes sfdisk bomb out at trying to modify the partition table, but doesn't stop the script. When the script gets to the part of actually using partimage, it bombs out due to the partition not being the right size - of course with no error code whatsoever. Since the sfdisk part of the script went by so fast, tracking down this problem took some time, and led to a wild goose-chase centered around partimage's functionality.
What I have done in subsiquent Knoppix remasters is to turn off the autofs script and remove it from init.d. This stops autofs from starting at boot, or so I thought. When I do a ps auxw, there sits automount, all fat and happy. The strange thing is that it now does not mount swap partitions - at least not at boot. It will however mount swap partitions JUST AFTER sfdisk modifies and writes the partition table back to disk! This does not interfere with our script, thank goodness, but still is puzzling, and leaves open the question that if we modify our scripts in future will this behaviour be a detrement. How the hell did the automount daemon run if it was not even in the init.d? I have scanned the knoppix-autostart file, but I can't find anywhere to change it there either. I would just like to kill it, possibly uninstall it, but I think Knoppix depends on automount a bit too much for that radical of a fix.
Any thoughts?
Similar Threads
-
By posmanet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-22-2006, 06:54 PM
-
By xudzh in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-27-2006, 06:20 PM
-
By ar0ne in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-15-2005, 06:40 AM
-
By jdohrmann in forum German Forum
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-04-2005, 11:58 AM
-
By Decibels in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 04:11 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99