and before you say it, yes, i've unchecked the "read only" box and set owner/group/others to "read and write" but i'm STILL doing something wrong ...
I apologize for the elementary question.
Hi.
I have used Knoppix to boot a computer which has a Linux (Debian) hard drive which currently refuses to boot ... I want to copy some of the files to a USB thumb drive to try to recover them ... but I can't get them to copy ... sometimes I get the message that I can't read the file I want to copy, and other times I get the message that I can't write to the device ....
I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but I can't figure it out .... can anyone help, or point me to a howto that might get me started?
thanks
and before you say it, yes, i've unchecked the "read only" box and set owner/group/others to "read and write" but i'm STILL doing something wrong ...
I apologize for the elementary question.
If your trying to save data from a dying hard drive, consider getting a gmail account and emailing yourself the critically important stuff, rather than tryng to get knoppix to figure out your hardware. Gmail gives you 2 gigs of storage. Yahoo will give you another gig or so for free.
Otherwise how is your usb stick formatted? You could post the output (froom a root sheel) of fdisk -l, and maybe : df (disk free). Also : mount.
HTH
in addition, you might check to make sure the usb drive is not formated in ntfs instead of fat32. also, the checkmarks are not enough to make the drive writable. (depending on your release version) you need to right click on the drive and select 'actions' and 'make drive read write' <- or something similar.
before you try copying critical files, create a small text file (call it 'test' or some such) with one of the many text editors provided in knoppix and see if you can save it to your thumb drive. if you can, then you will be able to write the files you are attempting to salvage.
not too sure why you might be getting the 'can't read file' message, but maybe the above information will give you a little more to go on.
there's probably a slick shell command that will allow the drive to be mounted as writable, but i don't know if your standard "mount mnt/dev/" string will do that or not. have to try that myself next time i drop into knoppix.

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$600.00
Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM
$286.00
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Lot of 2~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB3 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$400.00
LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95
Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
Samsung 4 X 4GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA SO-DIMM Laptop Memory M471A5244CB0-CWE
$80.00