Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: FAQ did not solve permissions issue -- need help.

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    FAQ did not solve permissions issue -- need help.

    I've booted my Linux computer from Knoppix in an effort to recover data. I right-clicked on the hard disk, changed all the permissions to "read and write," and unselected the "read only" choice under "Device," just as the wiki page told me to do .... But I still find that my database files in /var/lib/mysql/ are locked. Those are the files I desperately need to copy somewhere -- anywhere -- so that I can restore them to a different server. (this server no longer boots.) ....

    Can someone please tell me what I've doing wrong? I've search the FAQs and tried all the suggestions I can find, but I'm still stumped.

    Thanks in advance.

    George

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    FAQ did not solve permissions issue -- need help.

    This is _not_ a permissions issue.

    Once you have mounted your filesystem using the desktop icon, right click it and choose: Actions -> Change Mount Mode Read/Write.

  3. #3

    folder access problems contineu

    Well, I have the drive mounted, I've changed the mount to RW, I've deselected the "read only" checkbox at Properties-->Device, and i'm STILL not able to get to those folders ... still get the "You don't not have enough permissions to read" message ....

    What am I doing wrong here? I've read the FAQs, I've taken good advice found on this list, but I still can't get there ...

    Please help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    FAQ did not solve permissions issue -- need help.

    Now you do appear to have a permissions issue.

    What are the permissions on the files themselves? Probably root.mysql or something similar.

    You may need to act as the superuser or file owner and/or adjust the permissions accordingly per file or directory in order to manipulate them.

Similar Threads

  1. Using Knoppix to solve XP boot problem
    By BlueWotsit in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2006, 09:58 AM
  2. knoppix ? Awesome, but can u solve me some doubts? [Noob]
    By GbaDoctor in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 07:52 AM
  3. -iso-level 2, does not solve problem
    By Aman in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 05:16 AM
  4. [Fstab] Mounting errors: How to solve them??
    By Coume in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 06:59 AM
  5. Solve my Problem
    By mwalam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2003, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF picture

M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF

$99.00



Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$44.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$123.90