-
Woot! I'm online! but......
Ok I figured out how to get my old computer which is now running Knoppix online (no other OS). It was to simple all I needed to do was run netcardconfig and it did it's magic. I can now see my Knoppix computer from my other win2k machines also but now it gets alittle trickier. I want to tell Knoppix to use my printer that is on one of my win2k machines. It want's the address of the printer I assume that is computername/printername? I'm just unsure how to tell it the address I'm going through the built in printing manager. If this isn't enough information let me know, the basic setup is my Knoppix box is connected to my router and all my other computers are also. Also I tried using win2k's network places to browse my Knoppix box. When it pulled up the name and password box I tried logging on as root but it wouldn't let me in said my name and or password weren't valid. I assume this is just some weird thing cuz I'm trying to browse a Linux machine with a windows machine.
Thanks in advance,
Jwilds
-
Senior Member
registered user
You need Samba
Go to any of the other Linux forums and search for Samba too. This is a majorly popular subject.
-
When I did the install I selected all the components to start up. When I look at the Knoppix computer through My Network Places in win2k it lists that computer as "Knoppix Server (Samba 2.23a-12.1 for Debian)" So I assume I have it? Thats all the info I'm able to get My Network Places to tell me about the other machine but it does see it so I take that as a good thing. I'll take a look at that samba site but I don't think I need to install anything else?
Jwilds
-
Open a terminal (Konsole) window and type: (hit enter after each line)
sudo -s
hostname knoppix
cd /etc/samba
cp smbpasswd smbpasswd1
mv -f smbpasswd1 smbpasswd
smbpasswd -a knoppix (type a password here for the knoppix user, I used "test")
/etc/init.d/samba restart
Now you should be able to either browse the network for the knoppix share or you can do a search for the knoppix computer from the W*ndows machine. If it asks you for login information, log in as user knoppix and password test (or whatever password you set above). You should see the knoppix home directory and the printers share come up. You should be able to read any file from your knoppix home directory, but you won't be able to write to it for right now since the default samba config is set for read-only. If you want to enable writing to it, it can be done, let me know and I will post how.
Similar Threads
-
By gadgerama in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 11:30 AM
-
By jMon54 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 08:41 PM
-
By oc in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 04:20 AM
-
By jwilds73 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-20-2003, 07:51 AM
-
By Firstimer in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$305.99