Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Executing Program wich requires root privileges?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30

    Executing Program wich requires root privileges?

    Hi,

    I have used klik to install a couple of programs, "gazpacho" and "firestarter". When I click on the icon for gazpacho it runs fine. When I click on the "firestarter" desktop icon, I get a message saying that I require root privileges to run firestarter. I believe that that message come from firestarter.

    I tried:

    sudo ~/.zAppRun firestarter_1.0.3-1.1.cmg

    and recieved the message:

    Unable to mount /tmp/app/2.

    What command should I have used??

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Since Firestarter tries to set up your firewall settings, it needs root privileges to operate.
    Please see http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23005

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30
    I tried following the example sited and got the following messages:



    Bash ajax rozen [~] ->su
    root@ajax:/home/rozen# ./.zAppRun Desktop/firestarter_1.0.3-1.1.cmg
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified


    (firestarter:29635): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    ./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/di_3.11.dfsg.1-1.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
    ./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/firestarter_1.0.3-1.1.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
    ./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/gazpacho.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
    ./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/skype.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
    ./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/smb4k.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory
    ./.zAppRun: line 167: /root/.kde/share/applnk/klik/xvnc4viewer_4.0-8.cmg.desktop: No such file or directory

    I am running Knoppix 4.0.2

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

    This means that your system is set up to refuse X applications running under the root account for security reasons.
    man xhost
    shows you how to allow the root user to run graphical applications.

    Regards,
    probono

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    Hey,

    The only way I could get firestarter to work via "sudo firestarter" is simply:

    1.) login as root (su -)

    2.) cd /home/username

    3.) cp .Xauthority /root/
    cya,

    Will

Similar Threads

  1. Wich type of partition should i use?
    By RHCA in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 04:57 PM
  2. K3b needs root privileges- what's Knoppix 5 KDE su password?
    By RobertLichen444 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 07:37 AM
  3. Superuser privileges for Guarddog
    By bw in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 11:07 AM
  4. Wich files to pick when download knpx?
    By Debbie Danger in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 05:43 PM
  5. Wich lines of /etc/apt/sources.list can i eraise?
    By PrOmETeO in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2004, 03:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00