I've been playing around with this problem for a while, but I just can't work it out. I'm using a Knoppix 4.0 live CD. Connecting using wvdial with a serial modem. I'm running Ubuntu, Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux, all of which I have no troubles with when connecting to the internet. Knoppix though is giving me some grief.
The symptoms of the problem are..
I put a URL in the browser and it takes forever to load the page. I mean very slow, not just 56k slow. Loading www.google.com, I can see the search box, but the Google logo image takes forever to load or sometimes won't load at all. I'm not that good on diagnosing connection problems, but when I look at the connection in Ethereal, there seems to be a lot of problems, because I'm getting tons of black and red entries in the connection, where it seems to be losing packets all the time.
I ran netstat -i I think it was and it showed packets transmitted and recieved..and lost packets. It seems I was only losing packets on the recieved side of things. Eventually the connection just seems to die a slow death of lost packets and no URL's will load anymore.
The fact that this modem and configurations settings for wvdial or ppconfig (I've been playing with them both) are working perfectly on Ubuntu, Puppy Linux and DSL but not on Knoppix has left me wondering what is different on Knoppix that would cause this issue.
Any ideas?
What commands can I try to diagnose this problem?

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED
$67.76
Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95
Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U
$159.99
GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00
Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00
Atari 800 130XE 65XE Color S-Video, Composite Video & Audio Cable Tested
$29.78
Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power
$129.99
Atari 1200XL Computer Game Console Vintage Rare FOR PARTS OR REPAIR READ
$270.00
Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer
$72.00