-
Senior Member
registered user
NTFS problems are not insurmountable.
Check out the home pages on the NTFS drivers. Their problems tend to be with permissions/ownership of files and allocation of space if writing a new file. With few or hard choices with a Windows system, I would delete files with little anxiety; rewrite deloused files with little anxiety unless they expand radically, which I would view as unlikely, and I would be apprehensive about writing a new file. You can write a backup within KNOPPIX to a USB or firewire drive. If Windows ran afterwards, I would create a proper backup of all data, in case of a crash.
I would view the O/S as suspect, but then it is a Windows system and suspect to begin with. I have a blow it all away and reload about once a year on my machines. It usually involves one intensive session and then a week or so of intermittant tinkering to get everything reloaded and all of the data retrieved from backups i.e. to get everything arranged. I am more conservative with the machine my wife is on, because she doesn't respond well to needing a piece of software reloaded or some data file retrieved from a backup. I keep good backups of that box and pray a lot. It is an older box 1 Ghz with W2K. I have been unsuccessful in persuading her to move to a notebook.
Similar Threads
-
By mid1700s in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-09-2007, 04:32 PM
-
By Jyn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-13-2006, 06:38 AM
-
By Ekoi Panot in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-13-2006, 10:25 PM
-
By bread in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-15-2006, 02:34 AM
-
By HitmanKB in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-22-2004, 03:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate Exos X16 ST12000NM001G 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$349.95