-
Junior Member
registered user
'Bootfrom' cheatcode gives 'Error: module cloop is in use'
Trying to boot Knoppix from the hard disk using the "bootfrom=/dev etc" boot code.
I made an .iso of my Knoppix DVD, called it 'knoppix.iso' and put it in a hard disk partition /dev/sda4. On reboot I specified knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda4/knoppix.iso at the prompt. But it hits an error and reverts to the DVD image:
Code:
inserting /modules/cloop.ko
error: module cloop is in use
I'm confused. This is something about loopbacks and perhaps file locations, right? Pointers appreciated.
-
Have you tried just tohd=/dev/sda4 to let Knoppix copy the DVD image over to HDD via itself
(hmmm..I forget if either "Knoppix" needs to be in the command or not -- ala >> "Knoppix tohd=/dev/sda4" )
Once done, then use fromhd=/dev/sda4
Is this an SCSI drive or External USB key or USB drive or SATA drive?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks enouf for your response.
Yep I did try the tohd=/dev/sda4 beforehand. This took a while and copied a few files to the partition in question, including one called just "KNOPPIX". But when booting I got the "cloop" error. Searching brought practically nothing on the exact error message received. But did I read something about needing to use different partitions for different files..?
In the end I gave up and installed Kanotix. Which worked perfectly, involved no command lines and took about 10 minutes. Much simpler.
-
This is indeed a problem, this mechanism used to work in 3.9 CD version, in the 4.x DVD version it never worked.
Similar Threads
-
By chowdah45416 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
-
By star_gazer09 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
-
By tbobz in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-24-2005, 07:38 PM
-
By dafne in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-13-2004, 02:19 PM
-
By Myrdhin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 02:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99