Hi

meanwhile I made some progress, but still have problems with the dual boot... I found some information about using the Windows Boot Manger...

I wrote the boot sector in a file using

knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sudo dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=boot.lin bs=512 count=1

this created the file boot.lin, which I copied to a FAT32 partition accessable from Windows. Then I booted Windows and moved boot.lin to c:\ and added in the Windows boot file (boot.ini) the line c:\boot.lin="Knoppix"

After restart I could chose between Windows and Knoppix. Windows works fine, however Knoppix doesn't start (black screen).

Thanks for comments. see below for more information about the partitions (fdisk -l, mount) and the content of /dev/hdb1 (ls).

I never useded grub before.... so if you recomment to use grub, a detailed info would be very nice...
Iis there any chance to use lilo?.. How should the lilo.conf look like? see also below, what it does, if I try it...


egge


knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sudo fdisk -l

Platte /dev/hdb: 15.3 GByte, 15393079296 Byte
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spuren, 1871 Zylinder
Einheiten = Zylinder von 16065 × 512 = 8225280 Bytes

Gerät boot. Anfang Ende Blöcke Id System
/dev/hdb1 * 1 637 5116671 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 638 701 514080 82 Linux Swap / Solaris
/dev/hdb3 702 1871 9398025 f W95 Erw. (LBA)
/dev/hdb5 702 1871 9397993+ b W95 FAT32

Platte /dev/sda: 160.0 GByte, 160041885696 Byte
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spuren, 19457 Zylinder
Einheiten = Zylinder von 16065 × 512 = 8225280 Bytes

Gerät boot. Anfang Ende Blöcke Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 9730 78156193+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 9731 19457 78132127+ f W95 Erw. (LBA)
/dev/sda5 9731 18427 69858621 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda6 18428 19457 8273443+ b W95 FAT32





knoppix@0[knoppix]$ sudo mount
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
/ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=349896k)
/UNIONFS on /UNIONFS type unionfs (rw,dirs=/ramdisk=rw:/KNOPPIX=ro,delete=whiteout)
/dev/hda on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
/dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
/UNIONFS/dev/pts on /UNIONFS/dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0666)
automount(pid2577) on /mnt/auto type autofs (rw,fd=4,pgrp=2577,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
/UNIONFS/dev/hdb1 on /mnt/hdb1 type reiserfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)



knoppix@0[hdb1]$ ls
bin cdrom dvd floppy initrd mnt opt root sys usr vmlinuz
boot dev etc home lib none proc sbin tmp var





knoppix@0[hdb1]$ sudo cat /etc/lilo.conf
# /etc/lilo.conf - See: `lilo(' and `lilo.conf(5)',
# --------------- `install-mbr(', `/usr/share/doc/lilo/',
# and `/usr/share/doc/mbr/'.

lba32
boot=/dev/hb1
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
backup=/dev/null
map=/boot/map
timeout=100
vga=normal
default=Windows

image=/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hdb1
label=Knoppix
read-write
other=/dev/sda1
label=Windows


knoppix@0[hdb1]$ sudo lilo
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
/proc/misc: No entry for device-mapper found
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Failure to communicate with kernel device-mapper driver.
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.01.03 (2005-06-13)(compat) and kernel driver
Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hb1")