Hi

thanks Nad! Meanwhile I managed to install the grub boot manager and I can boot linux. But the dual boot is still not working.

Here is what I have done: istalling and setting up grub, a good help was http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
. The menu.lst file (see below) containing both, linux (hd0,0) and windows (hd1,0). I wrote the boot sector to hd(0,0).

In the bios I changed the boot sequence from my Windows HD (hd1) to the Linux HD (hd0). After restart the grub boot manager starts and I can chose between Knoppix and Windows. Knoppix boots fine, but Windows doesn't boot.

I again tried using the windows boot manger as described in my last posting. There windows boots fine, but when trying to boot Knoppix there is only GRUB on the screen and nothing else. Only reset helps...

Thanks again for all comments

egge


cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
title Knoppix
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=de apm=power-off nomce vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img
savedefault
boot

title Windows XP
root (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1



cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0) /dev/hdb
(hd1) /dev/sda

==>Here is hd0 the Linux HD and hd1 the Windows HD.



fdisk -l

Platte /dev/hdb: 15.3 GByte, 15393079296 Byte
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spuren, 1871 Zylinder
Einheiten = Zylinder von 16065 × 512 = 8225280 Bytes

Gerät boot. Anfang Ende Blöcke Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 382 3068383+ 83 Linux
/dev/hdb2 383 446 514080 82 Linux Swap / Solaris
/dev/hdb3 447 1871 11446312+ 1b Verst. W95 FAT32

Platte /dev/sda: 160.0 GByte, 160041885696 Byte
255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spuren, 19457 Zylinder
Einheiten = Zylinder von 16065 × 512 = 8225280 Bytes

Gerät boot. Anfang Ende Blöcke Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 9730 78156193+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 9731 19457 78132127+ f W95 Erw. (LBA)
/dev/sda5 9731 18427 69858621 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda6 18428 19457 8273443+ b W95 FAT32