-
Trying to connect to internet w/ IBM T41p and cable internet
Hello all,
I want to start out by admitting that I am a complete noob to Linux. Knoppix has been recommended by others as a good starting point, so I wanted to give it a shot. Fortunately the boot process seems to work out just fine, but once I am in Knoppix, I am totally overwhelmed. I think the first step I would like to do is get my internet working through Linux, so I can browse newbie tutorials on the web while using Knoppix. I have seen Answer #3 a lot, so I will try to provide as much information as possible.
"If you were referenced to answer #3, it's most likely because you want network help, but have omitted critical information about your network, like what NIC hardware you are using, what router (make and model), or even what type of service you have (DSL is different than cable, we need to know if we are going to help). It also helps if you give people the result of simple basic commands, like netcardconfig. If your response has USB in it anywhere someone may still help you, but I will not be responding. USB is an awful technology to mix with networking and causes awful problems. If your ISP provided USB equipment, insist on true ethernet interfaces instead."
My laptop is an IBM T41p with the 2373GEU configuration. I have two network adaptors available on my laptop. In my device manager, the wireless card is labled "11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adaptor". IBM's website lists it as "ThinkPad High Rate 802.11a/b/g Wireless". The ethernet card is labled as "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection" in device manager, and as "1Gb Ethernet installed on systems via the system board" by IBM's website. I am running my computer through a Belkin Pre-N router utilizing dhcp which then connects to a Motorola cable modem provided by Atlantic Broadband. I do not use a proxy server in Firefox (when running windows), but rather a direct connection to the internet. I will have to go try netcardconfig the next time I boot into Knoppix, but when I tried other commands, like pumping, last time it told me I could only perform them as root. I do not know how to log in as root, so hopefully netcardconfig will work. By the way, the loadup screen did say it had configured eth0 and eth1, so the hardware configuration might be ok. I'll go do the netcardconfig right now and will report back once I have returned to windows.
Similar Threads
-
By dan_haifa in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-21-2005, 11:18 PM
-
By pybass in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-18-2005, 10:17 PM
-
By emilia in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-28-2004, 02:10 AM
-
By sepht in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-15-2003, 09:03 AM
-
By hpy7871 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic
$100.00

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Model M0487 & G5431 Mouse UNTESTED AS-IS
$59.99

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A
$150.00

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Vintage Apple Pro Keyboard USB Mac M7803 **Used in box
$75.00

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts
$71.95

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00