-
Junior Member
registered user
Anyone built a Knoppix cluster?
At our local LUG (http://lugoj.org), we just had a presentation from one of our members who built an 8-node Beowulf cluster using RedHat. During her presentation (http://atlee.net/beowulf/), one of the topics that came up was the potential for a Knoppix-powered cluster.
Has anyone set one up? I've inherited much of her cluster hardware for experimentation and would like to see what I can come up with.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes, this would be very interesting. But first, shouldn't we be talking about what application we'd run on a cluster?
Regards,
-
Junior Member
registered user
In an production setting, yes. I'm thinking more along the lines of a fairly generic case for academic purposes.
Even in this case, though, you're right. A specific application can provide a sample scenario to see the student through to completion and provide some means of verifying that it all works as it should.
-
Look in the new ideas forum... clusterKnoppix!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok I have an application to run on the cluster. Now first I need to write a parallel code for a 3d poisson solver and run it on the cluster.
Ok now the application is decided. now where can i get a tutorial to get my cluster running.
i have a question someone said that cluster can be created with diskless clients.
second. does the clients need to have clusterknoppix or any other linux on it or not.
third can cluster be created my adding a mac on the cluster or only PC r allowed.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ziyad
Ok I have an application to run on the cluster. Now first I need to write a parallel code for a 3d poisson solver and run it on the cluster.
Ok now the application is decided. now where can i get a tutorial to get my cluster running.
It's fairly simple
1. Plug in network cables
2. Start the PCs
3. Put in the ClusterKnoppix CDs
The nodes will automagicaly join the cluster, if everything works 
i have a question someone said that cluster can be created with diskless clients.
Yes, just like PXE booting normal Knoppix. Just boot one with the CD and boot the others via the network. There's a menu entry for network booting in the Knoppix menu.
second. does the clients need to have clusterknoppix or any other linux on it or not.
No they need to have the same (openMosix patched) version of the Linux kernel. So you might be able to use some of the iso's mentioned at OpenMosix.org, as long as they use the same kernel version.
third can cluster be created my adding a mac on the cluster or only PC r allowed.
It might be possible to port openMosix to the Mac hardware, but then you can't mix different processors (very well). IBM-compatibles and mac use a totaly different. Different intel processors can be mixed, but if you start for example MPlayer on an MMX machine it will use MMX instructions. When in moves to a node that doesn't know MMX it will (likely) crash.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Henk Poley
third can cluster be created my adding a mac on the cluster or only PC r allowed.
It might be possible to port openMosix to the Mac hardware, but then you can't mix different processors (very well). IBM-compatibles and mac use a totaly different. Different intel processors can be mixed, but if you start for example MPlayer on an MMX machine it will use MMX instructions. When in moves to a node that doesn't know MMX it will (likely) crash.
Hmm. Should there be problems mixing Intel and AMD processors?
-
Junior Member
registered user
that means eitehr I can burn 12 cluster knoppix cd's and boot each of my 12 clients using the cd's or I can use PXE.
I never really understood what was PXE. U mean I can use my server and be able to boot my clients through my server.
Why can't i understand a simple thing.
OK i have some computers in my lab. But i don't have access to those computers. I only have access to my computer. Can using cluster knoppix I can make a cluster with out putting anything on the clients. my lab mates won't let me do anything to there computers. But i really need to test this thing.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ziyad
I never really understood what was PXE. U mean I can use my server and be able to boot my clients through my server."
Yes.

Originally Posted by
ziyad
OK i have some computers in my lab. But i don't have access to those computers. I only have access to my computer. Can using cluster knoppix I can make a cluster with out putting anything on the clients. my lab mates won't let me do anything to there computers. But i really need to test this thing.
You can either make cd's for all of the computers or do a network boot with an etherboot image on a flopy.
Get the howto details here:
http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/index.html
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
aay
Now this is what I wanted. This is perfect. I can download PXE and put it on a floppy and boot my clients from the floppy. does PXE automatically knows what to or I have to make changes to it.
Let me try it.
Similar Threads
-
By antec in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 07:08 PM
-
By new~bie in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-20-2004, 04:04 AM
-
Replies: 19
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 09:51 PM
-
By Lidio Mozi in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 10:13 PM
-
By estranged in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-28-2003, 03:48 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99