To set a root password in a console sudo passwd then enter the password you want. You will not be able to write to ntfs but you can read for recovery.
I was hoping to use Knoppix as a recovery for my data when a computer fails, then just transfere data over the network then redo the machine. I've tried to enable the Lisa Dameon so I can broswe the network, but I need the root password.
I've read all the post how there is not default password and how I should do is in the console using "sudo su". Granted I'm a Linux nebewbie but I can't quite figure out how to enable the dameon from the console. Any help would be appreciated in pointing me the right way.
Also I read somewhere that Linux might have a problem with the NTFS file table on my 2k & XP computers is that true?
![]()
Thanks in advance.
p.s. Do most Knoppix users use this distrobution for file reconvery or what are the advantages of using this rather than another disro?
To set a root password in a console sudo passwd then enter the password you want. You will not be able to write to ntfs but you can read for recovery.
If you are accessing NTFS drives over a network you can, of course, read and write files with no problem at all as the NT/2K/XP peer or server uses it's own OS to write the files. You cannot write directly to mounted NTFS partitions as you ahe read.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$101.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler
$250.00
MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99