-
Junior Member
registered user
Production / Test using partimage
I am currently running knoppix installed on one partition of my hard drive. I am planning on creating another reiserfs partition to use for a knoppix test version.
sda3 - knoppix production, my stable environment
sda4 - to be my test environment
I am planning on using partimage to make a copy of sda3 partion which I would then build sda4 using this copy. I would then like to do my testing on sda4. Then when I am happy with that environment I would like to copy sda4 back to sda3 (Production). I have a couple of questions.
1) Is this possible and does it sound like the right way to meet my needs
2) Trying to think this through I realize that there would be references to the partition where my copy originates from. When I copy from one partition to the next say from sda4 to sda3, I was wondering what files would be impacted by partition addresses (i.e. sda4 references that would need to be changed to sda3).
I hope this makes a little sense. I can probably clarify this a little more if you need me to.
Thank you...in advance,
Chip
-
Senior Member
registered user
Boot off the Knoppix CD/DVD. I use the cheat code: knoppix 2 dma vga=normal
At the root prompt, use cfdsik and create the sda4
cfdisk /dev/sda
Once that is done you should reboot to make sure the changes are applied to the partition table. Next format reiserfs on sda4.
mkreiserfs /dev/sda4
Now mount the original and the new root paritions:
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/sda4
Copy your current linux system to the new HD:
cp -Rp /mnt/sda1/* /mnt/sda4
Once that completes then edit the /mnt/sda4/etc/fstab file.
change / from pointing to /dev/sda3 to /dev/sda4
Then edit /mnt/sda3/boot/grub/menu.lst and copy the three or four lines that represent the normal boot entry for knoppix. Paste them to the end of the file and change the title. Also change the reference from (hd0,2) to (hd0,3) or /dev/sda3 to /dev/sda4.
Save the changes and unmount /mnt/sda3 & /mnt/sda4
Reboot and it should work.
I hope this helps.
James
-
Senior Member
registered user
Production / Test using partimage
You are going to need the -d (dereference) switch in that copy command also so as not to follow symbolic links and copy the links themselves.
While your at it, just use the -a switch (for archive) as it combines the -dpR arguments.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I was able to create my sda4 partition as reiserfs. I am now trying to mount that partition but it say's I need an entry in the etc/fstabs file. My current file looks like this
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/sda3 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devmode=0666 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda2 none swap defaults 0 0
# Added by Cyoung for camera
# /dev/sdb1 /mnt/camera auto noauto,user,rw 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/camera auto noauto,users,exec 0
My question is what should my line look like for sda4 reiserfs?
Do I also need a folder in the mnt directory for sda4?
Once I am able to mount sda4 and copy all of my files from sda3, how do I change fstabs to show which partition I am pointing at since it looks like just a list of all available partitions?
Thanks again. That was a very quick response.
Learning more each day!
Chip
-
Senior Member
registered user
Production / Test using partimage
Although we are happy to help those in need, what you are asking for is a tutorial on basic UNIX/Linux system administration.
In order to become more proficient, and have ready references at hand, may I suggest that you begin to acquire a library to assist you.
There are many excellent texts in the USD20-30 range as well as probably some material at your local liibrary.
Your system itself should be your first source. Learn to use the manual pages installed at your system. The command: man , followed by almost any command or configuration_file_name will give you basic information concerning such and often references to further information. The command: apropos followed by a search string will give you a list of the manual pages that include same.
In your case: man fstab , man reiserfs, man mount, man partimage, man cp, etc
If you really get stuck, please post with the exact command that is giving you trouble.
The comment, " I am now trying to mount that partition but it say's I need an entry in the etc/fstabs file", does not give us much information and simply makes a reply more difficult as we have to guess what your likely actions were.
Similar Threads
-
By jjbergdolt in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-05-2005, 07:57 AM
-
By alastair lewis in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
-
By MickKi in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-21-2005, 03:00 PM
-
By kleiner_Drache in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 07:04 PM
-
By knulle in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00