-
Senior Member
registered user
Compaq Evo D510 EPC
this Compaq is a small form factor box, Celeron 1.7, 20Gig HD, CD ROM, 128Mb of ram.
It runs XP fine, but I don't want XP on it.
I try to boot from CD and it starts, but halts on "Loading grub, please wait.............."
The CD drive works, at least in so far as in XP it'll open the CD up..........
I've tried with two versions of Kanotix (one of which installed fine on my lower spec desktop).
I suspect the CD drive is at fault, but does anyone have any other ideas or experience? Anyone know of a
(cheap) source for replacement drives for these (they're laptop type, H-L DataStorage, part number CRN-8243B) in the UK?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hi!
There may be a few issues at work here. Have you tried anything like enabling DMA using a cheatcode? There have been many issues caused by the drives requiring DMA to function properly. I have a similar issue with another model Hitachi-LG drive in a notebook. Enabling DMA has resolved it.
If I am correct, it is a small form factor PC using a slim cd/dvd drive. I don't know of any suppliers for these drives in the UK, but have seen some exact replacements on eBay from time to time. I believe that Newegg.com has replacements that would work in place of what you have. Another model of Hitachi-LG/Goldstar would probably work well and might accept all of the trim/mounting attachments without modification. If it is a standard slim format drive, almost any manufacturer's drive might work.
Good luck and hope you resolve your issue.
-
Senior Member
registered user
[quote]Have you tried anything like enabling DMA using a cheatcode?
I'd try, but it just halts at grub: no boot prompt, so no opportunity to input a cheat code.
I found a couple of drives on ebay which look like they'll fit OK...........
Oddest thing is HP say these are certified to work with SuSE, RedHat, Mandy, etc.
Similar Threads
-
By NitroCrzy in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-30-2006, 05:48 PM
-
By zxedxz in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-30-2003, 08:30 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-21-2003, 04:01 AM
-
By ivi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-12-2003, 12:32 PM
-
By gaje in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-07-2003, 06:19 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH
$225.00

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 R630 G13 SERVERS K98XH
$225.00