Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Remastering new Knoppix 5 DVD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Remastering new Knoppix 5 DVD

    Hi all!

    There's many of us that wants to remaster new Knoppix as soon as possible, but what is the best and easiest way to do that with DVD?

    I have made remastering of Knoppix CD with Farian Franz's menu based scripts but have never tried to remaster Knoppix DVD with two cloop images. I have also made a DVD myself but only with one cloop under 2 GB.

    I like menu based scrips but how to change them for DVD remasterings? So I think that I must learn an other method but what? There seems to be so many different methods but what is the best?

    There is some thing that I thinks remastering scripts should do automatically:
    - purge temp and cache files
    - purge system specific files
    - delete user's own personal information
    - purge hidden files at least from /root
    - create a compressed file system
    - create isofs

    Could some or all of these tasks be done with Fabian Franz's scripts?

    -tapsa-

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    I found this link where Klaus talks about how to split the two compressed files. He said that it should "perfectly scriptable" . I don't think that I could write the script. But I hope it helps.

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-knopp.../msg00015.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Thank you for the link. I think Mr. Knoppxer said that mkisofs should be used with -m option to exclude separately directories which are in cloop0 and cloop1 images. This is clear to me and there can be made two separate script for both images by modifying a script from http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

    Is this so simple that you install everyting as before but separate directories by mkisofs -m option which goes to KNOPPIX (cloop0) and KNOPPIX2 (cloop1)? And everything is joined together in minirt.gz and using unionfs.

    Hope Fabian would make some changes to his good remaster scripts to include more than one cloop device.

    -tapsa-

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    I think that is is that simple. The question I have is how do you exclude files in the /usr directory for each cloop file? and which files must be in KNOPPIX. Shouldn't the KNOPPIX file be almost Identical to the original on the remaster? It has everything that is needed to boot. And it is alread full. With the exceptions of updates(that are the same size) and changes to the configuration files. Shouldn't the KNOPPIX file remain mostly in tact? Most of the new programs would need to be in the KNOPPIX2 file. The thing is since the two (KNOPPIX) files are merged at boot up how can you tell which (KNOPPIX) file contains what /usr files on the original?

Similar Threads

  1. Remastering Knoppix 3.8.2
    By mohit.jain.india in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2005, 08:24 PM
  2. Remastering Suite V1.01 released! Easy Knoppix-Remastering
    By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
  3. Remastering KNOPPIX-3.3 to a DVD
    By Madus in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 01:12 PM
  4. Remastering knoppix
    By gtgoku in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 02:55 AM
  5. Remastering Scripts : easy remastering
    By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB - M0001A W/ Keyboard, 2 Mice, 800K HD, + More

$300.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed picture

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed

$125.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Rare Vintage Apple QuickDraw 3D Accelerator Card PCI 820-0739-A picture

Rare Vintage Apple QuickDraw 3D Accelerator Card PCI 820-0739-A

$277.88



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested picture

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested

$210.00