-
Senior Member
registered user
How to get started with knoppix and cable modems
Hi;
I have an OLD ( over a year ) copy of knoppix installed on my hard drive.
I've never had a high speed connection before and today the cable guy came and hooked up my PC to a cable modem.
No surprise, he didn't know how to get it working with knoppix. I'm using the KDE desktop.
I would be much obliged if someone could tell me how to get knoppix working with the cable hookup( hopefully, before my dialup account runs out ).
Do I need to get a firewall? If so, could someone tell me the easiest (or best) option to take care of that?
Thanks much in advance
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user
Never mind the connection part. I rebooted my box and now it is working
.
However, I could still use information about firewalls. What are they? Do I need one with a cable modem? What is the best solution?
Thanks
Steve
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
beforewisdom
However, I could still use information about firewalls. What are they? Do I need one with a cable modem? What is the best solution?
The best solution is a hardware firewall, and you do need one with a cable modem, particularly if you run Windows but there are growing issues for Linux only users too. See answer #4 for more details.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By s-m-n in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-10-2005, 10:27 PM
-
By Lagniappe in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-22-2005, 10:27 AM
-
By bulio in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-06-2004, 01:50 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM
-
By knopbill in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 01:03 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49