Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to get started with knoppix and cable modems

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    How to get started with knoppix and cable modems

    Hi;

    I have an OLD ( over a year ) copy of knoppix installed on my hard drive.

    I've never had a high speed connection before and today the cable guy came and hooked up my PC to a cable modem.

    No surprise, he didn't know how to get it working with knoppix. I'm using the KDE desktop.

    I would be much obliged if someone could tell me how to get knoppix working with the cable hookup( hopefully, before my dialup account runs out ).

    Do I need to get a firewall? If so, could someone tell me the easiest (or best) option to take care of that?

    Thanks much in advance

    Steve

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149
    Never mind the connection part. I rebooted my box and now it is working .

    However, I could still use information about firewalls. What are they? Do I need one with a cable modem? What is the best solution?

    Thanks

    Steve

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by beforewisdom
    However, I could still use information about firewalls. What are they? Do I need one with a cable modem? What is the best solution?
    The best solution is a hardware firewall, and you do need one with a cable modem, particularly if you run Windows but there are growing issues for Linux only users too. See answer #4 for more details.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Which modems are supported by Knoppix?
    By s-m-n in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 10:27 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.8 doesn't support dial-up Modems anymore!?
    By Lagniappe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2005, 10:27 AM
  3. do usb modems work on knoppix now?
    By bulio in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2004, 01:50 AM
  4. Modems that work with knoppix/debian
    By beforewisdom in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 03:25 PM
  5. Linux (knoppix) Compatible Modems??
    By knopbill in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 01:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99