Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: install on one box move HD to another

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    install on one box move HD to another

    The background to this is here

    I think the CD drive is at fault and think I've found one on ebay.

    But, if the worst comes to the worst, is it possible to install on to one machine, pull the hard drive, pop it in the other box and get the autodetection to run again?

    I seem to remember someone doing something like this in order to get a new peice of hardware recognised...................

    Ideas welcomed. I'll be using Kanotix 2005 4.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    I've done it and as I remember , the trick is to keep the disk on the same place on the ide, so that grub finds /boot.
    OTOH, you can edit /boot/grub/menu.list and ADD entries that point to different ide boot sectors . Make sure you leave the old one alone so you can return the drive to the original machine if you need to tweak.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Stranger and stranger: I just tried DSL and it loads fine.

    There's no serial port on this box and the only modem I have is an external serial jobie. The box in question will go to a newbie -- she really needs Kde. I wonder what would happen if I copied DSL to the HD on one box, copied over all the "good" stuff from Kanotix and re-burnt the disk?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    install on one box move HD to another

    Might I suggest that you simply install Kanotix to the hard drive and then swap. As long as the physical drive configuration is the same (I assume one hard drive) and the drive is PATA(ide atapi) not SATA, it should just work. A SATA drive could cause issues with unsupported controller firmware.

    You can't just copy over the binaries without serious re-engineering issues.

    On the other hand, have you tried booting and/or installing with a temporary regular cdrom drive connected to the system? (Open the box and connect a drive to the motherboard).

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'll try the first one! The second had not occured, I guess because the CD/DVD drive on this box is always busy, but it's a good idea.

    I'm guessing that it'll read DSL and not Kanotix because of the different booting mechanisms. An HD install of DSL fails because it can't get access to the ntfs HD!

    And that really leaves me with only the options you suggest.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    install on one box move HD to another

    "I'm guessing that it'll read DSL and not Kanotix because of the different booting mechanisms. An HD install of DSL fails because it can't get access to the ntfs HD!"

    DSL and Kanotix, as well as all other GNU/Linux distributions, necessarily use the same "boot mechanism".

    Might I suggest that the Kanotix cd that you burnt is not good? The reason may be that the DSL image is considerably smaller than the Kanotix image. You may have achieved a good burn at a higher speed with the DSL image, but, not with the Kanotix image. Try a slower burn speed. I suggest as slow as possible.

    What this has to do with an ntfs partition, you may wish to explain, as you will necessarily need to remove any existing partitions and filesystems and repartition your hard drive (unless you are looking to dual boot which is an entirely different animal). The installer will assist you with this.

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to move from Knppix 4.0 to 5.0
    By GottaBuild in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 12:57 AM
  2. Knoppix X config file can I move it to my debian install?
    By Drezliok in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 01:57 AM
  3. cannot move document
    By bwhips in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
  4. how to move current install to a new hard drive
    By Loafy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. Utility to move/copy a HD install
    By nishtya in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS picture

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



AMD Ryzen 5 9600X 9000 Series Desktop Processor CPU Retail Box picture

AMD Ryzen 5 9600X 9000 Series Desktop Processor CPU Retail Box

$130.00



Intel Core i5-13400F 10 Core 16 Thread Processor SRMBN picture

Intel Core i5-13400F 10 Core 16 Thread Processor SRMBN

$126.99