Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Kanotix root partition creation

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122

    Kanotix root partition creation

    I am currently attempting to install kanotix onto my hard drive I have created a windows partition and a partition I intend to use to install kanotix onto and a linux swap partition. When I use the kanotix installer, it informs me that it cannot continue with the installation because I do not have a root partition. As a relative noob, I am unclear about how I would make a root partition, any information on how to do this with cfdisk or any other utility would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    Kanotix root partition creation

    I've never installed Kanotix, but, if it follows a standard debian install, at the partitioning menu you have to choose the partition you wish to use and another screen will appear with your usage options. When you press enter with a highlighted line that configuration option will toggle. Use the up and down arrows to choose the line.

    You should be given the option of using or not using any partition, a choice of mount points (in your case / ) and whether to format and type of filesystem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Well I managed to get my problem fixed. I used qtparted to partition and format my harddrive in preparation for the installation of kanotix. Apparantly qtparted malformatted my drive because when I went to #kanotix on irc to ask about the problem, I was informed after showing the output of [i]scanpartition[i] and fdisk -l that qtparted was not the best choice for repartitioning my drive and that I should delete all partitions done by qtparted and redo them with cfdisk. After doing so and rebooting, which is important, the kanotix installer was able to recognize the partitions and I was able to select one as the root partition. I was perplexed when the installer wouldn't display any partitions for me to select as my root partition as Nad suggested was standard for Debian based distro installations. From now on when I think of qtparted I will think of this: and whenever I think of cfdisk I will think of this
    Also thankyou to the ppl of #kanotix for all the help in case any of them are also members of this forum....

Similar Threads

  1. Write permissions on root partition
    By cobra_brad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 02:49 AM
  2. kanotix hdd install partition
    By arie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 07:27 PM
  3. V3.6 fails to install into root partition
    By markb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 03:37 AM
  4. Master boot record or Root partition?
    By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 08:13 PM
  5. how change root partition?
    By mixedCase in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 01:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99



RDS Remote Desktop Service For Server 2025, RDS 2025 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS Remote Desktop Service For Server 2025, RDS 2025 50 User/Device Connections

$69.00