I wonder if they realized the "other" meaning of STD when they released that. I'm also sure that grub is not an exe. Usually with grub, you can just hit e to edit the current line, and then rewrite it to point to your hard drive.
I have an old Dell laptop, Latitude XPiCD P150ST that has a bad HDD controler. I can get it to boot w/ a W98 boot disk and access the CD-ROM. What i'm tring to do is run Knoppix live. With it being so old i don't think i can get any of the newer distros to run so i've been trying STD. I have grub and copyed over grub.exe and menu.lst. I can call grub then all i get is just a flashing cursor at the top of the screen. I'm sure the problem is w/ menu.lst 'cause i don't know how to edit it. Most of what i have found on here is for running from a ISO on the HDD. Any help just to get started would be nice.
I wonder if they realized the "other" meaning of STD when they released that. I'm also sure that grub is not an exe. Usually with grub, you can just hit e to edit the current line, and then rewrite it to point to your hard drive.
That is the problem, the HDD or controlor is dead or a bad cable, got some things coming in to test all that out. I have never used grub before so i'm not too sure what i'm looking at in the config files. just looking for some pointers of what to take out and what to leave in.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99
B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield
$75.96