View Poll Results: Would you like to create a custom Knoppix CD upon download?
- Voters
- 5. You may not vote on this poll
-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix possibility
I have an assocoate who swears by Gentoo Linux. He's constantly trying to get me to switch even though I've told him more than a dozen times that I like Knoppix-based distros. Well, last September I advised him in the building of a AMD 64-bit dual-core desktop, 500GB total HD space, 4GB RAM total. Well, when he started to install Gentoo, I saw something that I really liked... He was downloading packages for installation, while he was installing. Mind you his install took a total of 4 hours due to bandwidth limitations on a T1 college network, but I thought that this was pretty cool.
My idea (mind you I don't know if anyone else has suggested this) would help users with slower connections, and would probably work best for those already familiar with Knoppix. Anyway, I really like the Knoppix 4.0 DVD, the packages on it blew me away! However, I had to get a copy from a friend who had downloaded his through bittorrent. Now, here's where my idea comes in...
(1): Make a Knoppix version that is substantially smaller than 700 MB, but that still has all the great hardware detection plus installer scripts, network-setup utilities, Bash, web browser, and a CD-burning app... Preferably with a small WM like IceWM, or Fluxbox, or even with no WM at all.
(2): From this live CD the user could then install to HD, setup and connect to the net, then select a Knoppix-package download mirror, and then select which packages he or she wants. Then just simply run a script/utility to download and install the selected packages.
(4): Once the user has all the necessay packages installed, then the user can run the CD-burning application to make the remastered CD.
(4): This way a user can make a simple remaster upfront, as well as not tax bandwidth limitations so much (by downloading smaller packages).
This may not be the 'best' idea, but I think that it could help others to create a simple remaster, also to help out users who don't have a DVD burner or even a high-speed connection.
Cool? Yes? No? Let me know what you think.
Similar Threads
-
By mikekgr in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:21 PM
-
By DaRacerz in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-22-2003, 03:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

Vacloong Vacuum-Sealed 3D Printing Filament Kit, 20 Packs PUMP+20P, White
$18.99

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67