Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Starting applications

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2

    Starting applications

    Hi-
    I have booted the Knoppix CD and can navigate all about, and the HD is mounted, and I can see program files just fine. However I am unable to start an application, because when I click on the appropriate exe file, I get a message saying
    "Are you sure you want to execute this file?" To which I reply yes and then I just get a blank window that does nothing.
    Is there a trick to starting and using the HD applications?

    Thanks. I am newbie, using Dell inspiron laptop.

    JB

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Starting applications

    Quote Originally Posted by lablom
    when I click on the appropriate exe file, I get a message saying "Are you sure you want to execute this file?"
    Could you better explain just what you think you want to run? There are plenty of programs in the Live CD and Live DVD menu systems, they are started right from the menus. There indeed are many less commonly used programs that are on the discs but there are no menu entries for; they can be started by typing their name at a command shell prompt. But my guess (and this is only a guess) is that you expect to click on Windows programs and see them run under Lnux. The simple answer is that this is not the intention of Linux and that this is not going to happen. These are different operating systems and programs interact with them differently. Programs are designed for the operating system that they run under.

    That's not quite the end of the story, however. There is some work done to be able to force programs written for Windows to run under Linux. Do some research on programs like Wine if this is what you think that you want. But Wine and it's kind can not run everything, and there is often a performance ht on the things that it can run. I personally don't fool with it so I can't tell you much more.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2
    Harry
    Well, the lightbulb turns on! Indeed I was expecting that the existing programs would run, but silly me.
    What I want to do is scan the whole HD for viruses and adware that may be slowing things down. It takes forever to boot and change programs and I worry that there may be some badguy lurking where the usual Norton and Spybot cant detect. Thus my interest in knoppix to scan from CD while the HD is not in use.

    May I assume there is a program or two on the Knoppix disc to help me?

    Many thanks for your thoughts.

    JB

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    There are some virus scanners for Linux and I think that one may be included with Knoppix. But again there are some issues: Knoppix 4.0.2 is almost a year old now and 5.0 is not officially out on the Internet, so any virus definitions that are included on the disc would be out of date (they would likely be out of date on the 5.0 disc by the time that you get it also). And depending on what version of Windows you have it might not be able to do anything more than tell you that you have a virus; Knoppix can not safely write to NTFS partitions (there are rumors of technology in 5.0 but I'll wait for the official release before considering this more). There are good free scanners available that run under Windows, I suggest using these if you can get Windows to boot at all. If not then I suggest a complete reinstall. Mamy times there are things that one proream like spybot don't find, try several.

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED]Starting X applications when the X server is started
    By smhall05 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
  2. applications-what where
    By babelbrennt in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 11:24 PM
  3. New applications
    By alanblundellxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 12:01 PM
  4. add nvu and web applications ?
    By juklkj in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 01:39 AM
  5. Speed of applications
    By folio in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Remote Desktop User & Device RDS CALs for Windows Server 2025, 2022 & 2019 picture

Remote Desktop User & Device RDS CALs for Windows Server 2025, 2022 & 2019

$174.99