Hey all,
Always been a closet linux fan (Read: Used to get voyeuristic pleasure from watching over other users shoulders) but after hearing about live cds i decided to bite down and blaze a noob trail. D/led a bunch of live dvds and the only one that worked for me was knoppix 4.0.2. so after successfully logging into the gui (and experiencing first hand the bliss that is kde) i discovered that my trusty stalwart i.e. my wireless connection was not up and running instantly. After having been mollycoddled by windows for years, i overcame the initial befuddlement, then i took stock and decided to read up about this stuff in various fiorums.
Ok. So i figured that my NIC was the problem. It apparently turned its back on the live dvd (though i burned it on a quality dvd, mind you, the pamapered lil nic #$#$) and refused to be recognised at all. I ran every one of the network related wizards and config tools. I did get some ping results from one of the said wizards, but i had a strong hunch that i was, in fact, pinging myself.( Primarily because i had all 0 ms return times). The one of the wizards told me that i had no wireless card.
This is a blatant lie. I have two wireless cards. One is pci based - a netgear 108 mbps wireless wg311T card. I do not have the first card installed under windows. I mean it just sits in the pci slot but i never installed the drivers for it. The other is a Trendnet Tew424Ub wireless usb adapter. This is my mainstay card and it runs just fine under windows. Neither of the cards were recognised. As for the second one, i believe the company does nto support linux for the model. I did find some potential backup drivers for it by third party dogooders, but i have no clue how to go about installing the drivers for it while in the live session (if at all i can).
I am about as noob as noob can get. I mean i understand some technical terms such as command prompt and the ilk, but otherwise i have used windows all my life. If someone cuold please point the way to a solution with noob friendly instructions, you will have converted one more long suffering windows user into a believer. Thanks ahead!
P.S. also another small query. I was wondering if theres an way to switch between kde and gnome appearance while using live dvd? I mean i know about gnoppix but i did see a gnome style control panel in the live session.. any way to switch between both on the go ? Sorry for putting it up here but i thought it was too small a question to merit a seperate post elsewhere. thanks.

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99
Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99