-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
Terminico
, but i don't know if that router can be used with Knoppix and/or Linux.
As long as you are talking ethernet and not some usb hunk-o-junk, any router should work with Knoppix and Linux just fine. There is a big difference between a manufacturer not supporting you when using Linux (holding your hand) and the router not working with Linux. In fact, Belkin makes the only one that I have ever seen that would not work (it didn't do DHCP properly, could still be used if you manually configured the connection). This is far different from wireless NICs that frequently do not work with Linux and there is no Linux driver or even technical information that would allow a programmer to write a driver. Routers need no special software on the Linux box.
-
Senior Member
registered user
When you say

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Belkin makes the only one that I have ever seen that would not work (it didn't do DHCP properly, could still be used if you manually configured the connection).
are you saying that Belkin routers won't work onl linux even if connected directly with ethernet? Because I am using a Belkin router right now directly connected with an ethernet cable and when I boot, DHCP discover seems to work fine. Or are you meaning that it won't work with wi-fi, I'm not quite sure what you mean, if you could clarify that would be very helpful
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I'm saying that I have seen (and have) one old Belkin (model F5D6231-4 Ver 1000) that failed to DHCP handshake properly with Linux. Others may have this problem too, I do not know, although since code often gets reused it seems likely. I have another Belkin that does not have this problem. I never said it extended through the complete Belkin line, only that I had seen one with the problem.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Senior Member
registered user
ok thanks for the clarification
Similar Threads
-
By bthomson100 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-22-2009, 02:06 AM
-
By django in forum Networking
Replies: 16
Last Post: 08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
-
By bekrul in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 10:27 PM
-
By JockVSJock in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-13-2004, 12:18 AM
-
By Nthline in forum The Lounge
Replies: 11
Last Post: 05-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

2-Bay RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA HDD/SSD External Hard Drive, USB 3
$59.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN
$55.00

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Dell 01M71J PERC H740P 12Gbps PCI-E SAS RAID Controller 1M71J
$70.00

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50