Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Installing modules? P.S: And talking about routers.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6

    Installing modules? P.S: And talking about routers.

    Hi,
    I want to install a module for my wireless card.
    Is there any way to get it onto a Knoppix System with an Image File or sth. else?
    But i don't want to install Knoppix on my HDD.

    Terminico

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    man ndiswrapper I am having trouble with my wi-fi card under linux, even with ndiswrapper, but this is because the vendor of the Dell TruMobile 1300 doesn't support linux I think, I will probably use Linuxant. Anyway, back to your question, if ndiswrapper will work for your card, you will need the inf files (the driver) for your card, ndiswrapper will use this to get your card working. The inf file for your card should be on your computer on windows somewhere, or you can try and find it online. For more specific help, you should give some system specs and the model of wifi card you are using

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6
    I'm using a Ralink RT2500 USB Card (or RT 2570 USB).
    Does this work with Knoppix and can i install that program on it?
    And I only have a .sys file for my Card...
    I found it in the driver details for my card.
    Terminico

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    I don't know if that one will work or not, google "Ralink RT2500 USB Card Linux support" or something like that to see, although I hear that usb wi-fi support for linux isn't good (I think I read that in a post here plus via personal research) but if it does work, download the inf driver, or locate it in windows put a copy of it on a thumdrive or on the ramdisk of your knoppix ramdisk and then on the command line type:
    Code:
     sudo ndiswrapper -i /path_to_your_inf_driver_file.inf
    If you don't know the name of your inf file to pull of your windows machine or to download, google "Ralink RT2500 USB Card inf driver or file" or something to that effect also good luck, hopefully that will be of help, I believe that there is some further configuration that you need to do once the inf file is loaded under ndiswrapper with kwifimanger, but I don't know much about that part because my card wouldn't work under ndiswrapper so I didn't get to kwifimanager, but if you run into trouble post in here and hopefully somebody else will be able to help you beyond ndiswrapper.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6
    I got it working, but now it doesn't detect our Router so that I can't get into the internet.
    How can i get that working?

    Terminico

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6
    I got it working, but now it doesn't detect our Router so that I can't get into the internet.
    How can i get that working?

    Terminico

    /edit: Can an admin plz erase this double post?
    Sry 4 the double-post...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    First I need to know what model the router you are using is and something about its configuration before I can help you further.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6
    I'm using a T-Sinus 154 DSL Basic from T-Online.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    This article was written by a user who had a similar problem it looks like the manufacturer of the router doesn't support linux or mac os x this is a common problem with alot of hardware manufacturers because they are in bed w/ M$ or are too lazy to make open hardware that will be as platform independent as possible Also, I got the impression that the router sucks in general, does it give you any trouble in windows sometimes? I would suggest a Belkin router, they are fairly cheap and work great w/ 802.11b/g support (I am refering to belkin products in the US in CA state, idk about their prices in other countries)

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6
    Hm, maybe i change my ISP too, because my ISP is the Deutsche Telekom^^.
    I have a friend who told me that another ISP gives you a great Router, but i don't know if that router can be used with Knoppix and/or Linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Complete newbie - can't get past talking menus
    By bthomson100 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 02:06 AM
  2. Secure Routers (resolved)
    By django in forum Networking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 09:27 PM
  3. issues installing modules when booting from live CD
    By bekrul in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 10:27 PM
  4. Installing Perl Modules using CPAN
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 12:18 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98