Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Flash memory usb stick and Knoppix 4.02

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3

    Flash memory usb stick and Knoppix 4.02

    Help, please.

    I tried to recover data from a Dell Optiplex GX270 with a broken NTFS drive. I found the My Documents folder intact. I wanted to copy it to my Flash memory stick. I could not. The drive, a simpletech bonzai 512 card, was recognized. In the infocenter all of the hardware details were described correctly. I kept getting the "not a block device" and "not a valid format" when I tried to mount in the the various ways I found when searching Google. I know the drive is good because I used it in Windows. I finally gave up and formatted an old disk as a FAT32 and connected that to the usb port. The fat32 drive worked fine.

    As I searched Google I found that Flash memory devices still seem to be a challenge to Knoppix even at release 4.02. Maybe I just didn't find the right mount instructions?

    Can anyone give me a simple set of instructions?

    Is another "live" cd better???

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    135

    Flash memory usb stick and Knoppix 4.02

    Flash devices are _not_ a challenge to knoppix. Knoppix is a tool. Like any tool that you are not familiar with, it helps to read the instructions.

    Try searching these forums for an answer to your question.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    so when you say you mounted an old FAT32 drive does that mean that the simpletech bonzai 512 card was NTFS? if so, that was your problem, no linux distro can reliably write to NTFS they can write w/ captive NTFS, but it is a dangerous procedure, nad is quite correct, these forums contain many references to the problems / dangers involved with NTFS, reading it is easy, writing to it is where the problems crop up. That is something I had to learn early on is to use the search tool here, the forums are well established and alot of the time the question has already been answered

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3
    A flash memory stick is a VFAT format disk. As I said I was able to read the NTFS folders and copy the information to a disk that I formatted as FAT32 and attach the FAT32 disk to the computer via USB 2.0 port. The fat32 mounted itself and was immediately useable. I did not have to do a special mount command and establish a mount point. Flash memory instruction that I found required mount instructions and none of them worked.

    As to the comment that someone made about the answer being in previous posts that may be true but I could not find it.

    I cannot see why a flash device cannot be recognized automatically life a FAT32 disk or even a NTFS disk. Flash devices are as common as floppies today.

    Pls note I am NOT trying to put Knoppix down. Knoppix rescued my data when numerous expensive recovery programs failed. All I am looking for is an efficient way to Knoppix as a tool kit. BTW even the book "Knoppix Hacks" by Kyle Rankin published by O'Reilly does not address mounting a Flash memory stick.

  5. #5

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix not reading USB memory stick
    By pdc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM
  2. Putting the dvd or cd on a flash Memory stick?
    By kidsatacrux in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
  3. USB Flash disk / USB memory Stick FAQ - HOW DO I install to?
    By gerasmus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2006, 09:02 PM
  4. Flash Memory Stick a failure in Knoppix 4.02
    By dennyk858 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 04:08 AM
  5. Run Knoppix from a 256 MB memory stick ?
    By i2hhj in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99