Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: knoppix 5.0 live dvd just sucks !!!

  1. #21
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    18

    Re: I already regret my previous (and actual) attitude

    Quote Originally Posted by zavalita2002
    Distro 1-15 : doesn't DO what Windows does.
    And thank the Holy Trinity of Tux, Torvalds, and Knopper for that!

    I haven't gotten a single virus in two years. I haven't had to wipe and reinstall my hard drive. I haven't had to deal with the joys of antispyware antivirus antimalware firewall wholebodycomputercondom programs. My machine hasn't lost half of my files because Windoze crashed in the middle of a write and fried the drive's FAT table.

    For the exactly two Windoze programs that I still am forced (by clients) to use for work, I can take out the CD, UNPLUG FROM THE NETWORK, boot up using my decrepit 8gb drive containing a bare install of Win2K (apologizing profusely to the poor little toaster), get the garbage done, shut down, put in the CD, and reboot back into a system that allows me to string together a bunch of commands through pipes so that I can accomplish my job in a tenth the time it would take under Windoze.

    Meanwhile, my 250GB drive, which contains roughly twenty million U.S. dollars of other people's engineering data at the moment, is isolated from all of the fourteen year old pinheads who think that it's funny to screw up people's lives.

    One of my formerly-least-favorite tasks is downloading and managing reams of document image data, often several thousand pages at a shot. Knoppix handles it fine; it has all of the TIFF and PDF tools that I need to convert them into Acrobat documents, and now that I've put the commands into one convenient little script to run overnight, it's a breeze. Everything happens automagically. On Windoze, not only would I have to install a dozen packages, I'd have to pay dearly for them too. And scripting? Forget it. ActiveState's Windoze Perl (not supported by your butty-buddies in Redmond) could try, but it has a distinct tendency to barf after a few hours of churning data. And I'm not aware of anything else in all of Windoze-dom that could even try.

    So enjoy your Windows system, dude. And if you ever decide to post something worthwhile, let us all know.

    Hail Tux! Hail Torvalds! Hail Knopper! We sing hosannas to thy names. . . .

  2. #22

    i enjoy my 'windoze', dude

    Has anyone understood something of what he said ?
    Anything related to my post ?!

  3. #23
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    Re: i enjoy my 'windoze', dude

    Quote Originally Posted by zavalita2002
    Has anyone understood something of what he said ?
    Anything related to my post ?!
    Why yes, yes I did. I think the point, or to be more precise - counterpoint, FlameWeasel was making was that he was more than satisfied with the functionality of Knoppix vs. Windows. I found it to be an excellent argument with very little hostile content.

    But, just in case you missed the bleedingly obvious - FlameWeasel has no problems with Knoppix. For my part I too have no major issues with Knoppix; it does exactly what I need it to do. And yes, I still use XP too.

    Anyway, for my part, I'm waiting for the "official" 5.0 English download before I make any judgements on whether or not "Knoppix sux".

    'Goon

  4. #24
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: i enjoy my 'windoze', dude

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGoon
    Anyway, for my part, I'm waiting for the "official" 5.0 English download before I make any judgements on whether or not "Knoppix sux".
    I agree completely. Klaus decides when Knoppix should be available for download, and I don't think anyone is a better judge than he for when his work should be downloadable on the Internet. These unofficial distributions do a real disservice to the Linux community.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #25
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    10
    i am really enjoying the 5.0 DVD, then again i'm not addicted to winblows anymore. i have three machines, the main running the live DVD 5.0, and two laptops running DSL. I run openoffice on all three and have file compatibility with the winblows office suite. i don't think the 5.0 DVD sucks at all, as a matter of fact it is loaded with so many outstanding productivity tools, i don't think i'll ever use them all.

    torp

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Live CD
    By cjnappoly in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
  2. cloop sucks, squashfs rocks
    By martinwguy in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 03:14 AM
  3. My School Sucks
    By Kowood in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
  4. SB Live no sound with 4.0.2 live CD; SMP kernel's fault?
    By fwheeler_1 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
  5. Whats the difference between a Live CD and a live DVD?
    By bokaroseani in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



Mix Lot of 7 sticks 8GB 1Rx8 PC4 - 3200AA/1Rx8 - PC4 2400T - 6 Samsung/1 SKhynix picture

Mix Lot of 7 sticks 8GB 1Rx8 PC4 - 3200AA/1Rx8 - PC4 2400T - 6 Samsung/1 SKhynix

$300.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory picture

Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory

$2150.00



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$155.00



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99