Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Ejecting a Knoppix Live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7

    Ejecting a Knoppix Live CD

    Thanks for your help....

    I am a volunteer on several Malware removal forums and I am trying to test out how I would go about getting data off of a non-bootable windooze xp.

    I have downloaded and burnt the latest knoppix and loaded it on my emachines amd laptop. It runs excellent but I cannot eject the CD so I can put another in there to burn the data.

    Is this possible after I have loaded K3b?
    If so I have already tried umount /dev/cdrom and umount /mnt/cdrom.
    I guess the easiest way to do this might be using a usb but I would like to see if it is possible to do this using a cd-r

    Thanks,

    LTP

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    See answer #5.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7
    If you have 1 gig of memory you can use the toram "cheat code" so that you will not need to keep the CD in the drive if you only have one CD drive.
    That was a bit confusing for me.

    If there is an easy way to explain it or a link to read more I would be grateful.

    Regards,


    LTP

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7
    Researched a bit more and found that you need to type 'knoppix toram' at the command prompt to store the live cd into the ram.

    Then do you need to use the command line to eject the cd?

    If so what would the syntax be?

    LTP

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    No. I don't think you'll need any command. I don't have enough memory for the toram option with Knoppix on any of my systems, but have used it with the 50 meg DSL CD just fine. One can just tap the button on the CD drive after booting and remove the CD; it is not used at that point and does not need unmounted or anything like that.

    By the way, if you don't have enough memory to use toram with Knoppix you can use a smaller distro like DSL. And I've even written a copy of DSL to the first 50 megs of a multi-session CD and then used the bruning software in DSL to write additional files to the remaining 650 megs of CD, without doing the toram at all.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    By the way, if the resque faq was confusing but you now understand it, you might consider improving that part of the wiki to make it clear. Sometimes one person does get a bit technical and thinks others will follow it, but another person who was confused may be able to make the article a lot more useful to the next guy. The wiki is a community effort.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for you time... I will go back tomorrow afternoon and modify the wiki a bit

    Nice response times :thumbsup:

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7
    Harry,

    I modified it, thanks...

    LTP

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by lovethepirk
    Harry,

    I modified it, thanks...

    LTP
    Actually I just saw the modification and I think you have it wrong. I don't believe that this can be done at a shell prompt as you say, it should be done at the boot prompt. I'll update it and include a link to the section on cheat codes.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7
    Woops am I an idiot LOL, sorry. I will try it later to see which way is correct but I am sure I was wrong.

    LTP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How is done ejecting CD before reboot?
    By RobD in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 09:19 PM
  2. Problems Ejecting CDROM
    By Knopper12 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:31 AM
  3. Avoiding ejecting the CD at reboot
    By Jimmy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 10:33 AM
  4. ejecting the CDrom I booted off of
    By doogie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:02 PM
  5. cd ejecting..
    By evilfix in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59