-
Ejecting a Knoppix Live CD
Thanks for your help....
I am a volunteer on several Malware removal forums and I am trying to test out how I would go about getting data off of a non-bootable windooze xp.
I have downloaded and burnt the latest knoppix and loaded it on my emachines amd laptop. It runs excellent but I cannot eject the CD so I can put another in there to burn the data.
Is this possible after I have loaded K3b?
If so I have already tried umount /dev/cdrom and umount /mnt/cdrom.
I guess the easiest way to do this might be using a usb but I would like to see if it is possible to do this using a cd-r
Thanks,
LTP
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
If you have 1 gig of memory you can use the toram "cheat code" so that you will not need to keep the CD in the drive if you only have one CD drive.
That was a bit confusing for me.
If there is an easy way to explain it or a link to read more I would be grateful.
Regards,
LTP
-
Researched a bit more and found that you need to type 'knoppix toram' at the command prompt to store the live cd into the ram.
Then do you need to use the command line to eject the cd?
If so what would the syntax be?
LTP
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
No. I don't think you'll need any command. I don't have enough memory for the toram option with Knoppix on any of my systems, but have used it with the 50 meg DSL CD just fine. One can just tap the button on the CD drive after booting and remove the CD; it is not used at that point and does not need unmounted or anything like that.
By the way, if you don't have enough memory to use toram with Knoppix you can use a smaller distro like DSL. And I've even written a copy of DSL to the first 50 megs of a multi-session CD and then used the bruning software in DSL to write additional files to the remaining 650 megs of CD, without doing the toram at all.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
By the way, if the resque faq was confusing but you now understand it, you might consider improving that part of the wiki to make it clear. Sometimes one person does get a bit technical and thinks others will follow it, but another person who was confused may be able to make the article a lot more useful to the next guy. The wiki is a community effort.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Thanks for you time... I will go back tomorrow afternoon and modify the wiki a bit 
Nice response times :thumbsup:
-
Harry,
I modified it, thanks...
LTP
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
lovethepirk
Harry,
I modified it, thanks...
LTP
Actually I just saw the modification and I think you have it wrong. I don't believe that this can be done at a shell prompt as you say, it should be done at the boot prompt. I'll update it and include a link to the section on cheat codes.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Woops am I an idiot LOL, sorry. I will try it later to see which way is correct but I am sure I was wrong.
LTP
Similar Threads
-
By RobD in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-17-2005, 09:19 PM
-
By Knopper12 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:31 AM
-
By Jimmy in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 10:33 AM
-
By doogie in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:02 PM
-
By evilfix in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-24-2003, 07:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$289.99