-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
maxIT
As concern this isssue you can use 'nmap' to scan the network ips.
Oh sure, there are ways and nmap is a good one, but even then there would be times that you just have to go look (imagine for example that I had two copies of Knoppix booted on two systems and was trying to network between then, then moved to a third system somewhere and wanted to network to a specific one of the two. Overall I just find it better to always know what IP addresses my systems should be at, no matter what OS they booted. It also means that I don't have to change any port forwarding in my router; if I have the FTP port forwarded to my system that normally runs my Windows FTP server, for example, and I boot a Live CD and try to get an FTP server up on the same box, I know that I don't have to make any port forwarding changes.
This is certainly not a major issue, but as long as I have the ability to set up my router to make life easy I will use it. And I bought this brand of router even though I had a perfectly good other router just to get this feature. The more serious problem is Chip's router supposedly handing out duplicate IP addresses, which just isn't right. I hope we hear back from him in this thread on what he has learned about this problem.
Similar Threads
-
By skrall in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-13-2006, 05:15 AM
-
By Mattr35 in forum Networking
Replies: 16
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
-
By J0hnP1pe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
-
By bertocci in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2004, 09:12 PM
-
By wooac in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72