Quote Originally Posted by rusty
I guess I'll either get a different d-link product or go for a WRT54G and try OpenWrt
One major problem that you need to know about the Linksys router is that while the original 54 had the memory to support OpenWrt, it is my understanding that they made a change a few months ago and now the normal 54 has half as much memory and will not support third part software. They apparently still offer a version of the router with the original memory size, but sell it under a different model number, and I expect that that model is hard to find and much more expensive than the normal 54 (since the normal 54 often had sale prices and rebates associated with it but now this "fringe" product will not). I have no idea how to determine if a 54 you see in the box in the store is old production that might be suitable for OpenWrt or not. I would suggest that you do some research before buying something that you may be disapointed with, and if you learn any more about this than the modest bit I have said please pass it back to me.
See
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl.../11/11/0638221
and
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../12/01/2326222