-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Chip, I'm posting this from Debian so that I can cut and paste some info. I'm not using Knoppix, as I said I have not run Knoppix recently, but I believe that Knoppix and Debian will have the same results here. I am connecting by DHCP to a Dlink router.
I have never had any occasion to use route and am not clear why you are using it either. When I get my DHCP setup I get a netmask and other settings from the router. That info can be seen by looking at the output of ifconfig (only the portion that deals with eth0 is shown here):
Code:
k6:/home/harry# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:CC:E8:48:D3
inet addr:192.168.0.103 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::2a0:ccff:fee8:48d3/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:6525 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:2751 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:2
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:7402966 (7.0 MiB) TX bytes:191431 (186.9 KiB)
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe800
Note that the netmask is what it should be for a normal private network using a 192.168 address and having at most 254 users (253 and the router).
Note also that my router is handing out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range while yours is handing out addresses in the 192.168.1.x range. This is normal and I have even seen some routers that default to the 192.168.2.x range and you likely can set this to any third number that you want in your router setup. It is not a problem that we have different numbers here.
I read through the man documentation for route. I see there plenty of example with a netmask, but none that use a netmask of 0.0.0.0.
I couldn't see anything in the man pages to just get route to show me information, so I just tried the command route with no other input. It outputted this:
Code:
k6:/home/harry# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
Note that there indeed is a 0.0.0.0 in this output, but it is called a genmask, not a netmask. If you Google the term genmask you will quickly find that the routing tables is using this as a mask differently than a normal netmask and that 0.0.0.0 is simply the general case default that the routing table uses if nothing more specific matches. So I guess this is why it is working for you, but I have no idea why you need to use the route command at all. I and most other people here using routers do not need to.
Similar Threads
-
By skrall in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-13-2006, 05:15 AM
-
By Mattr35 in forum Networking
Replies: 16
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
-
By J0hnP1pe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
-
By bertocci in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2004, 09:12 PM
-
By wooac in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 1200xl Original ROM And MMU set
$20.00