-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
I have never had any occasion to use route and am not clear why you are using it either. When I get my DHCP setup I get a netmask and other settings from the router.
I try to use static IP address for my Knoppix server instead of DHCP assign IP address to it. So I boot the knoppix with the cheat code: knoppix nodhcp
After the boot up, only the "lo" is set up with a value. The eth0 is not defined. No gateway defined.
I need to use the "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.90" to set up the static IP address.
Then use the "route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev eth0" to set up the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 and Genmask to 0.0.0.0 for device eth0.
The last step is to add an entry "nameserver 192.168.1.1" to the /etc/resolv.conf file, it is to define the DNS service.
Basically, it is a step by step setup the knoppix server address manually.

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Code:
k6:/home/harry# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
Note that there indeed is a 0.0.0.0 in this output, but it is called a genmask, not a netmask. If you Google the term genmask you will quickly find that the routing tables is using this as a mask differently than a normal netmask and that 0.0.0.0 is simply the general case default that the routing table uses if nothing more specific matches. So I guess this is why it is working for you, but I have no idea why you need to use the route command at all. I and most other people here using routers do not need to.
Yes, you are right. I double check on my "route" output. It is identical to yours. It shows Genmask instead of netmask.
But I think the confusion here is the "route" command itself, "netmask 0.0.0.0" in fact setup the genmask value and is not really a netmask setup.
Rgds,
Chip
Similar Threads
-
By skrall in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-13-2006, 05:15 AM
-
By Mattr35 in forum Networking
Replies: 16
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
-
By J0hnP1pe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
-
By bertocci in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2004, 09:12 PM
-
By wooac in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB
$160.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

Galaxy Tab A11 64GB
$150.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00