Quote Originally Posted by chip.ling
I try to use static IP address for my Knoppix server instead of DHCP assign IP address to it. So I boot the knoppix with the cheat code: knoppix nodhcp

After the boot up, only the "lo" is set up with a value. The eth0 is not defined. No gateway defined.

I need to use the "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.90" to set up the static IP address.

Then use the "route add ...
Actually, I had thought that by doing static IP addresses on the other systems you were now able to use DHCP with Knoppix. But OK, lets assume that you want to boot with knoppix nodhcp for any reason.... After booting try this: run netcardconfig, either from the menu or from a shell. Say no to the first DHCP question (assuming that you still don't want to do a dhcp setup). Then answer the remaining questions, using 255.255.255.0 when asked for a netmask.

After doing the above your ethernet connection should work, and it should be cleaner than using ifconfig and then route. No need for multiple commands (although you can use ifconfig after that if you just want to see the setings, but it is not needed).