-
No boot anymore when I had installed an Nvidia video card
I had tried to boot from Live edition Knoppix 3.8 in my system very sucessfully in the past. My system as follows:
Motherboard Asrock P4i45GV Pentium 4 processor 2.26 mhz. ram mem.512 mb.DDR 333 -DvD Lite-on and CDRW Sony.
The asrock motherboard comes with an video card on board intel extreme graphics with 64 shared memory.
HD 40 GB.7200 Rpm.Hitachi - Geforce fx5200 video Card (on-board intel xtreme graphics).
With the on-board video card all things works fine, but when I had installed the Nvidia video card, the system don´t boot anymore, (from Linux of course, in WinXP it works just great), the same thing happens with the SuSE installed in the HD.
Please if you know any trick or tips I will try all of them, to have Linux running again in my system.
PD. when I remove the Nvidia video card from the AGP slot the Knoppix Live boots again ¡ ¡
Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Daniel
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You're trying to boot Knoppix from the CD, right?
How far do you get? Do you get to the boot prompt? If so are you using any cheat codes and have you tried any to get past this problem? What happens, does the screen just black out? Does the boot hang at some point?
I assume that your post meand the AGP video card you add is a Geforce fx5200 video Card, but it sort of reads that this is the on-board video, so please confirm this.
Knoppix normally works with Nvidia cards pretty well. It doesn't have 3D support for them, but it doesn't normally have problems with them.
If you have a DVD drive you might want to try downloading the Games Knoppix DVD (GKDVD) - that does have special Nvidia 3D drivers that should work well with that board, but that will not really help us get the normal Knoppix CD working.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Yes I try from the CD. Yes the on board wich work well with Knoppix and Linux in general is Intel Extreme Graphics, and the add on video card installed after in the "AGI" SLOT (wich means for Asrock AGP), is the new one. and is a Geforce fx 5200 with 128 memory.
The booting screen continue until the green bar of recognising devices tells "Done".
After that it freezes. I had tried with some cheat codes but no one helped at all, with one that goes so far was knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA, after the green bar it displays lot of lines in text mode scrooling in the screen very fast and then a message : Panic Kernel. . .Kernel unable to . . . at device ffff0320 or something like that.
A help can be an e-mail that ASrock answer me about this matter, but I don´t believe that Linux can´t work like they say:
Dear Sir,
The A.G.I.8X is a special design developed to complement a VGA upgrade interface for i865GV and i845GV chipsets.
We tested it under XP /Win2K.
But AGI does not support Linux or Suse O/S.
BR,
ASRock
If this is the matter the only solution I have is change my motherboard, but for wich one ? ?
Thank you for your cooperation.
Daniel
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
uruway2000
The A.G.I.8X is a special design developed to complement a VGA upgrade interface for i865GV and i845GV chipsets.
We tested it under XP /Win2K.
But AGI does not support Linux or Suse O/S.
I would be suprised if you really needed to change the motherboard; just because a vendor will not support Linux does not mean that Linux will not work on that hardware (HP will not support Linux on my notebook, for example, but Knoppix runs fine on it). But if they really did a "special design" for that AGP slot then there certainly might be an issue. You might be able to find some discussion of it on a regular Linux forum rather than the Knoppix forum. If you have tried all of the video related cheat codes in the cheat codes section of the wiki, I don't know what else you could do other than use Google to see if other forums are discussing this motherboard.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
I hope so, and I really miss Linux, on my machine, but I home I only have one PC, and my son who bought the video card, uses Windows XP on it for playing games, and is very frustrating see how well it works with the Nvidia, and see how much time takes me find a solution for this problem. As you probably suppose this is not the first forum, I had visited, and that for at least two months. I thought when I buy the motherboard that it will be more popular than it really is. And at the Web page of suse compatibility it shows Linux - 100% so I believe that my Linux system will work 100 %, also if I need to install an AGP card as add-on.
Many thanks for your time pal.
Wish me good luck. . .
Daniel
Similar Threads
-
By kevv in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-24-2009, 03:56 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 02:53 PM
-
By Threv in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-13-2004, 04:48 PM
-
By weiv in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 08:56 PM
-
By nomex in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OLOy Warhawk RGB + XPG D35 96GB (3x32GB) DDR4-3200 DIMM DDR4 SDRAM
$625.00

Kingston HyperX 16gb 8GBx2 DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM HX426C16FB3/8
$95.00

Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DIMM 3600MHz RAM CMH32GX4M2D3600C18 (WHITE)
$249.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz
$250.00

SK hynix 16GB DDR5 5600 PC5-5600B 262-Pin SO-DIMM Non-ECC RAM
$200.00

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$164.95

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM
$37.99

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99