-
knoppix live cd will not boot for me
Both Knoppix 3.2 & 4.0.2 will not boot.
I was checking out what is on these Live CD's, I have heard a lot of good things using Knoppix live CDs to do different task. But they will not boot for me.
HERE ARE SOME OF MY SPECS:
2.80 ghz Intel Pentium 4
emachines t3882
MB: Intel corp Ser# TGHZ50807751
BIOS: Intel Corp BF86510A.15A.0085.P20.0412152353 12/15/2004
RAM: 1024 MB
Intel(R) 82865G Grahpics Controller
Philips 150P (Monitor)
Audio: Realtek Ac97 Audio
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connections
obnascar@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw
*-network:1
description: Ethernet interface
product: 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 8
bus info: pci@01:08.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:11:11:de:02:cd
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt
I think I can eliminate a bad CD. I burned the 3.2 and 4.0.2 myself, then I purchased a 4.0.2 from Edmunds. It just seems to be the Knoppix Live CDs, all my other live CDs work fine on this computer.
I just tried all three of the Knoppix's on my second computer, which is an Emachines also, but is an older machine and they all booted fine, but that one has a Linksys EtherFast PCI Adapter.
The last line I see in the verbose screen is this and it hangs there:
Network device etho detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP
One thing I did try at the boot prompt was to enter: 'knoppix no dhcp', but that did not make any difference.
I was just checking to see if anyone here may recognize what this problem is and could help me ?
-
Junior Member
registered user
I had the exact same issue running knoppix 3.8.2 on one of my computers and it was the network card. Can't remember the make of it, though. My computer hung at the same place when trying to configure the network. The card was still good, but it just did not work with Knoppix. I am now using that same computer with a different network card and it is ok.
-

Originally Posted by
Jason W
I had the exact same issue running knoppix 3.8.2 on one of my computers and it was the network card. Can't remember the make of it, though. My computer hung at the same place when trying to configure the network. The card was still good, but it just did not work with Knoppix. I am now using that same computer with a different network card and it is ok.
Thank you for your reply Jason W, I thought that was the case but just did not want to go out a buy a new network card unless I had to, now I know I have to, I want to be able to run Knoppix, This is a good reason why: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1928189,00.asp
Similar Threads
-
By samboon in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-13-2008, 03:07 PM
-
By Segrob in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-16-2007, 10:20 PM
-
By GTA in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-30-2006, 04:55 AM
-
By doubleo22 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2005, 06:39 AM
-
By kevin7 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$629.99

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A
$1731.00

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM System x3755 M3 2U Rackmount Server – No Drives or Trays
$150.00