Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: knoppix live cd will not boot for me

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5

    knoppix live cd will not boot for me

    Both Knoppix 3.2 & 4.0.2 will not boot.

    I was checking out what is on these Live CD's, I have heard a lot of good things using Knoppix live CDs to do different task. But they will not boot for me.

    HERE ARE SOME OF MY SPECS:
    2.80 ghz Intel Pentium 4
    emachines t3882
    MB: Intel corp Ser# TGHZ50807751
    BIOS: Intel Corp BF86510A.15A.0085.P20.0412152353 12/15/2004
    RAM: 1024 MB
    Intel(R) 82865G Grahpics Controller
    Philips 150P (Monitor)
    Audio: Realtek Ac97 Audio
    Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connections

    obnascar@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw
    *-network:1
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@01:08.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:11:11:de:02:cd
    size: 100MB/s
    capacity: 100MB/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt

    I think I can eliminate a bad CD. I burned the 3.2 and 4.0.2 myself, then I purchased a 4.0.2 from Edmunds. It just seems to be the Knoppix Live CDs, all my other live CDs work fine on this computer.

    I just tried all three of the Knoppix's on my second computer, which is an Emachines also, but is an older machine and they all booted fine, but that one has a Linksys EtherFast PCI Adapter.

    The last line I see in the verbose screen is this and it hangs there:
    Network device etho detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP

    One thing I did try at the boot prompt was to enter: 'knoppix no dhcp', but that did not make any difference.

    I was just checking to see if anyone here may recognize what this problem is and could help me ?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    I had the exact same issue running knoppix 3.8.2 on one of my computers and it was the network card. Can't remember the make of it, though. My computer hung at the same place when trying to configure the network. The card was still good, but it just did not work with Knoppix. I am now using that same computer with a different network card and it is ok.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason W
    I had the exact same issue running knoppix 3.8.2 on one of my computers and it was the network card. Can't remember the make of it, though. My computer hung at the same place when trying to configure the network. The card was still good, but it just did not work with Knoppix. I am now using that same computer with a different network card and it is ok.
    Thank you for your reply Jason W, I thought that was the case but just did not want to go out a buy a new network card unless I had to, now I know I have to, I want to be able to run Knoppix, This is a good reason why: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1928189,00.asp

Similar Threads

  1. PXE Boot Knoppix Live CD problem
    By samboon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 03:07 PM
  2. HD (Win XP Pro) won't boot after using Knoppix Live CD
    By Segrob in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 10:20 PM
  3. Windows will not boot after using Knoppix live cd
    By GTA in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2006, 04:55 AM
  4. boot knoppix live
    By doubleo22 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 06:39 AM
  5. can't boot frm knoppix live cd...
    By kevin7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99