-
Flash Memory Stick a failure in Knoppix 4.02
I had a "Unmountable Boot Volume" BSOD under WinXP. I needed the data recovered. I knew Knoppix was the way to go. That was the easy part. I thought I was going to be slick and copy the data onto my USB SimpleTech 512mb Flash Memory Stick (FMS) and be done. I tried under Knoppix 3.8 and it didn't work. I found several references that said it FMS didn't work in 3.8 so I spent 6 hours downloading 4.02 from Univ of Wisconsin.
4.02 was a huge disappointment! I expected plug and play like under Windows. No way. Matter of fact I could not even find a consistent way to mount the drive. Search Google yourselves and your will see lots of people with similiar experiences.
Finally, after trial and error, I got it mounted. Then I was told it was not a "block device". I did a DMESG | tail and saw that Knoppix could not find a filesystem to mount. Oy! this memory stick works right out of the package on Windows. Why is this so hard?
I finally solved the problem by formatting an old ide disk as FAT32 under WinXP using an external USB drive and copying the data to that.
Knoppix is a wonderful system which is why I am detailing my tale of woe. FMS are today's floppies. They have to be transportable between Windows and Linux if Linux is ever going to achieve parity with Windows.
I welcome comments. And, of course, instructions on how to read and write to a FMS under Knoppix.
Dennis.
Similar Threads
-
By pdc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-19-2007, 02:43 PM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-28-2007, 07:57 AM
-
By gerasmus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-19-2006, 09:02 PM
-
By dennyk858 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-25-2006, 04:58 AM
-
By i2hhj in forum Laptops
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-31-2005, 07:57 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99